This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8149 / 51°48'53"N
Longitude: -4.4971 / 4°29'49"W
OS Eastings: 227971
OS Northings: 215872
OS Grid: SN279158
Mapcode National: GBR D6.WWQB
Mapcode Global: VH3LL.0NF1
Entry Name: Capel Mair, including forecourt railings
Listing Date: 11 June 2001
Last Amended: 11 June 2001
Source ID: 25477
Building Class: Miscellaneous
Location: Within railed enclosure on S side of junction of High Street and Heol Gof.
Community: St. Clears (Sanclêr)
Community: St. Clears
Locality: St Clears
Built-Up Area: St Clears
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Independent chapel, originally of 1820, but rebuilt 1827 and 1862. The 1862 rebuild was to designs by the Rev. Thomas Thomas of Landore, Swansea, and cost £1200. Founded as a branch of Bethlehem, Pwll-trap, the chapel became independent in 1891. It was refurbished in 1913.
Chapel, gable fronted, 2-storeyed, stuccoed, with 4-bay sides, slated roof and arched-headed windows, with slate sills on corbels throughout. Unpainted 3-bay facade articulated by giant pilasters with plain moulded capitals carrying an entablature each side of a rusticated central arch with plaque below. Centre has arched panelled double doors in moulded surround, capitals and large keystone to arch under first floor broad triple window of arched centre light flanked by arched side lights all in cambered-headed surround with similar keystone. Sill band out to flanking pilasters. Large painted plaque above on corbelled sill has stepped arched head, and reads "Capel Mair. 1862.". Flanking bays have a tall, narrow window vertically bisected, in moulded surround with keystone. Sills carried out to flanking pilasters.
Side walls have similar tall, narrow, arched-headed windows, but recessed and lacking moulded surrounds.
Double aisled interior of 1862, with 3-sided raked gallery and pitch pine box pews, pulpit and furnishings. Lobby with tiled floor, coloured glass window, 4-panelled timber doors to chapel and gallery. Box pews with long horizontally panelled rears and vertically panelled doors. Raked gallery with curved corners, on 7 plain, painted cast iron columns with foliate capitals. Long, horizontal panels to gallery front, separated by pilasters bearing narrow, arch headed vertical panels. Bracketted cornice beneath. Clock opposite pulpit. 3-sided deacon's seat. Ornate pulpit has flanking stairs with turned balusters and similar balusters to serpentine-curved platform sides, with plain slats below. Pulpit centre has 3 vertical panels of darker grain with light gilded decoration. Pulpit rear has large plaster arch springing from consoles on plain pilasters with light, painted floral design. Three commemorative brass plaques set within arch.
Boarded ceiling has plain painted cornice. Centre rectangle, diagonally divided into 4, with opposing slats. Around this is rectangular band having margins and corner vents with florid design. Large, painted centre stucco rose with foliate design, and matching border.
Organ to entrance end gallery, by Lloyd and Dudgeon of Nottingham, 9 pipes stepped to centre between timber corniced enclosed boxes each with 3 long panels outlined in gilt decoration.
Included as a complete example of the work of one of the leading Welsh chapel architects.
Other nearby listed buildings