This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6539 / 51°39'13"N
Longitude: -3.2458 / 3°14'45"W
OS Eastings: 313909
OS Northings: 195742
OS Grid: ST139957
Mapcode National: GBR HV.727R
Mapcode Global: VH6DD.PPDJ
Entry Name: Penallta Colliery Electricity Building
Listing Date: 18 July 2001
Last Amended: 18 July 2001
Source ID: 25540
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Situated between the Baths building and the Lamp room, close to the rear of the latter and set slightly higher in the slope.
Built-Up Area: Ystrad Mynach
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Penallta Colliery was built between 1905 and 1909, at the height of the South Wales coal trade. It was established by the Powell Dyffryn Steam Coal Company, the region's largest mining company, on the most modern principles as the "super-pit" of its day. The surface buildings were laid out in matching architectural style in a spacious, artificially levelled area, on a rectilinear plan giving the ideal spatial arrangement of activities. The design of the enormous engine hall in particular was an important innovation copied at many later collieries. The colliery became one of the largest in Wales with 3,200 miners and a high output of top-quality steam coal. By 1935, Penallta held the European record for coal produced in a single week.
Small building believed to have housed electrical equipment, matching the other original buildings of the colliery in style. Rendered with brick dressings and very shallow-pitched concrete roof. Frontage faces path through colliery complex from Penalltau Road and has segmental-arched doorway, pilasters and cornice; side windows with metal multi-pane frames.
Divided into two rooms; black and red tiled floor; concrete beams to roof; now empty.
Listed as an integral part of this exceptionally fine colliery complex for group value with other listed items
Other nearby listed buildings