This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7513 / 51°45'4"N
Longitude: -2.9961 / 2°59'45"W
OS Eastings: 331333
OS Northings: 206314
OS Grid: SO313063
Mapcode National: GBR J5.0YXX
Mapcode Global: VH79M.07YS
Entry Name: Aqueduct at Goytre Wharf
Listing Date: 18 July 2001
Last Amended: 18 July 2001
Source ID: 25544
Building Class: Transport
Location: About 3000m north of the Church of St. Illtyd approached down a track from the Old Abergavenny Road.
Community: Goetre Fawr
Community: Goetre Fawr
Locality: Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal was promoted in 1792 to connect the upper Usk valley to the Monmouthshire Canal at Pontymoile and from there to the sea at Newport. Construction began in 1797, with Thomas Dadford Jnr. as engineer, and the first section, from Gilwern to Llangynidr was completed in that year, with the stretch as far as Brecon following in 1800. Work then stopped for a time with the result that the section to the Blaenavon Road east of Govilon was not completed until 1805, now with Thomas Cartwright as engineer. Further funds had to be raised and the last section from west of Llanfoist to Pontymoile was completed betwen 1809 and 1812, with William Crossley as engineer. Linked to the tramroads the canal was an important artery for trade in iron, lime and coal. In 1865 the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal Company merged with the Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Company who owned the connecting canal from Pontymoile to Newport. Later still in 1880 the MR&CC was bought out by the Great Western Railway and gradually the canal was run down until it was abandoned finally in 1962. Restoration work was begun in 1964, and the canal is once again open between Pontymoile and Brecon with the title Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal.
Built of squared coursed stone with dressed voussoirs and keystone. A tall single arch aqueduct of very solid appearance with a depressed segmental arch. Deep curved wing walls, and a parapet. This is a handsome structure with the same treatment on either face. The side supporting the towpath has a tubular steel handrail added along the parapet.
Included for its special interest as a very handsome and well built canal aqueduct, one of the major structures surviving in use for the early C19 Brecknock and Abergavenny canal and a part of the important and attractive canal group at Goytre Wharf.
Other nearby listed buildings