History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stables Court at Goytre Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Goetre Fawr, Monmouthshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7533 / 51°45'11"N

Longitude: -2.9888 / 2°59'19"W

OS Eastings: 331840

OS Northings: 206533

OS Grid: SO318065

Mapcode National: GBR J6.0LX9

Mapcode Global: VH79M.46S7

Entry Name: Stables Court at Goytre Hall

Listing Date: 18 July 2001

Last Amended: 18 July 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 25554

Building Class: Domestic

Location: On the north side of the house at Goytre Hall.

County: Monmouthshire

Town: Pontypool

Community: Goetre Fawr

Community: Goetre Fawr

Locality: Goetre

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Find accommodation in
Llanover

History

Quadrangular stable block built in 1868 (dated). This predates the ownership of the Rev. Thomas Evans who is said to have taken Goytre Hall in 1870. It has been little altered apart from the coachman's house (The Cottage) which has been extended into the adjoining tack-room.

Exterior

The stables are built of local sandstone rubble with Welsh slate roofs. Quadrangular plan. Single storeyed except for the coachman's house and the hayloft over part of the south range. Projecting pointed arch gabled entrance in the centre of the east wall. This is flanked by the coachman's house on the right, first with a small-paned casement window and then a two storey section with stack beside, timber casement windows. The entrance is under the arch. To the left of the arch the wall is blind. The right hand (north) range has small rear windows looking into the orchard. The south and west ranges are blind on the outside walls. The inner faces onto the courtyard have various carriage and stable doors, a kennels with iron railings, and several windows, all unaltered.

Interior

Interiors not inspected at resurvey, but they can be expected to be very plain. The stalls are said to survive in the north range.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a largely plain but unaltered stable-block of 1868 which has strong group value with the adjacent Goytre Hall.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Goytre Hall
    On the west side of the A4042 about halfway between Penperlleni and Llanover by the junction with the road to Chainbridge.
  • II Aqueduct Cottage at Goytre Wharf
    About 3000m north of the Church of St. Illtyd approached down a track from the Old Abergavenny Road.
  • II Aqueduct at Goytre Wharf
    About 3000m north of the Church of St. Illtyd approached down a track from the Old Abergavenny Road.
  • II Saron Baptist Church
    The chapel lies in a gated burial ground partly enclosed by iron railings, approximately 500m w of the A4042 between Llanover and Penperlleni, on a minor road leading south west to Mamhilad.
  • II Three Limekilns at Goytre Wharf
    About 3000m north of the Church of St. Illtyd approached down a track from the Old Abergavenny Road.
  • II Bridge No. 75
    Carrying the track going south east from Cil Farm over the canal.
  • II Bridge No. 76
    Carrying the lane going east from Pencroesoped over the canal.
  • II Abergwenllan
    About 1100m north of the Church of St Peter in the direction of Llanover.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.