This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7493 / 51°44'57"N
Longitude: -2.9697 / 2°58'10"W
OS Eastings: 333153
OS Northings: 206072
OS Grid: SO331060
Mapcode National: GBR J6.0ZPV
Mapcode Global: VH79M.G9W9
Entry Name: The Old Post Office
Listing Date: 18 July 2001
Last Amended: 18 July 2001
Source ID: 25586
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Immediately east of Foxhunter Inn on the south side of the road to Chainbridge.
Community: Goetre Fawr
Community: Goetre Fawr
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Nantyderry station was built by the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford Railway in 1854 and was worked at first by the London and North Western Railway. It became a part of the West Midland Railway in 1860 and the Great Western Railway in 1863. This building was part of a row of railwaymen's cottages which were built at the same time as the station and were sold off when the station closed in 1958. This may have been two cottages originally and changed to a shop later, it has now reverted to domestic use.
The house is constructed of squared snecked rock-faced sandstone blocks with a cogged band between the floors, Welsh slate roof. A two storey house which is a continuation of the terrace of railwaymen's cottages Nos. 1-4 (consec) Nantyderry Cottages (qv). This house is of two bays and may originally have been two cottages, later converted to a shop. The left hand half has a window and door on the ground floor and a window above. The ground floor window is an 8 over 8 pane sash with an elliptical head, to the right a plank door. The upper floor has a gable to the left with a sash window with 2 over 2 horizontal panes and an octagonal shaped head. The right hand half has a two storey gabled wing projecting. The ground floor has a 4 x 4 pane shop window, above this is a larger 2 over 2 pane sash with shaped head as before. Steeply pitched roof with brick stack on the left and in the centre. Rear elevation not seen.
Interior not inspected at resurvey.
This is included for its special interest as part of a unified group of railway buildings at the former Nantyderry station.
Other nearby listed buildings