This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3088 / 53°18'31"N
Longitude: -3.3652 / 3°21'54"W
OS Eastings: 309131
OS Northings: 379967
OS Grid: SJ091799
Mapcode National: GBR 4ZY5.7L
Mapcode Global: WH76H.83R6
Entry Name: Ochr y Gop Farmhouse
Listing Date: 18 July 2001
Last Amended: 18 July 2001
Source ID: 25590
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the N side of the village, reached by farm road on the E side of the minor road between Trelawnyd and Llanasa.
Community: Trelawnyd and Gwaenysgor (Trelawnyd a Gwaenysgor)
Community: Trelawnyd and Gwaenysgor
Traditional County: Flintshire
A substantial C18 farmhouse, and shown with an integral rear wing and bakehouse on the 1844 Tithe map. Alteration was made to the rear in the final quarter of the C19 and is first shown on the 1899 Ordnance Survey. A continuous rear wing was built parallel with the main range to give the house its distinctive double-pitched roof. The main house was also re-roofed at this time.
A Georgian 2-storey 5-bay house, built across the hillside on a sloping site. The walls are of rubble stone. The roof is a double-pitched slate roof, with end stacks of scribed roughcast over brick to each gable. On the L side of the front are traces of pebble-dash and roughcast rusticated pilasters, probably added in the late C19. A garden wall is attached at the L end. Inside a central gabled porch, which has pebble-dashed walls, is a boarded door under a 2-pane overlight. Above it is a replaced window. Otherwise, the windows, all beneath wooden lintels, are small-pane horned sashes with stone sills, except the window lower R which has a brick sill. In the L end wall is a late C19 small-pane casement lower L beneath the front gable. The 2-window rear gable has late C19 4-pane sashes. In the R end wall, beneath the late C19 rear gable, is a boarded door to the L and 4-pane sash windows above it and to the R. The 2-window rear has openings offset to the L side, comprising 4-pane sashes and a boarded door lower L. On the R side of the rear is a lower gabled bakehouse with exceptionally large and tall external stone stack. Facing the rear of the house, it has a boarded stable door on the L side, and a boarded loft door centrally placed and reached from the higher yard at the back of the house. The opposite side wall of the bakehouse has a continuous outshut projecting in front of the L side wall of the main house, where there is a casement inserted into an earlier, wider opening.
Listed as a farmhouse with regionally characteristic bakehouse wing, retaining strong C18 character.
Other nearby listed buildings