History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Aberelwyn

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanboidy, Carmarthenshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9278 / 51°55'40"N

Longitude: -4.6219 / 4°37'18"W

OS Eastings: 219820

OS Northings: 228727

OS Grid: SN198287

Mapcode National: GBR D1.NN7C

Mapcode Global: VH2NG.TTY0

Entry Name: Aberelwyn

Listing Date: 6 August 2001

Last Amended: 6 August 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 25624

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated in Aberelwyn hamlet, by roadside, some 500m E of Glandwr.

County: Carmarthenshire

Town: Whitland

Community: Llanboidy

Community: Llanboidy

Locality: Rhydowen

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Find accommodation in
Llanglydwen

History

Farmhouse, early C19 with earlier core. A minor gentry house of the James family from the late C17 to the C20. From 1707-12 the house was used by the Independent congregation split from the chapel at Henllan Amgoed, before the chapel was built at Glandwr. In 1902 part of the original house was said to be still standing, but the present house is of later date, marked on present site on 1843 Tithe map. In 1843 owned by John James and in 1873 by Edward James, with 214 acres (87 heactares).

Exterior

Farmhouse, slate-hung rubble stone with slate roof and red brick end stacks. Two-storey, 3-window range of 4-pane sashes and tiny fireplace window to ground floor left. Rubble stone NW end wall with derelict lean-to, part of a rear wing running NE which has been mostly demolished behind the front wall. Rear has rubble stone projecting stair gable with attic and first floor C20 windows under original oak lintels with dripstones, and ground floor door. Rear wall to right had an outshut, now removed, blocked first floor door with oak lintel.

Interior

Not inspected.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a substantial traditional farmhouse, with rear stair wing.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Pont-y-Gafel
    Reached by a track on the N side of Glandwr and some 300m NE of the bridge over the Afon Gafel.
  • II Rhyd-coed-bach
    On the NE side of the crossroads in the centre of the village of Glandwr.
  • II Glandwr Chapel
    Situated on the S side of Glandwr some 120m S of the crossroads in the village centre.
  • II Nant Saeson
    Reached by a minor road and track N off the Glandwr to Pentre-galar road some 1.5km N of the centre

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.