This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8777 / 51°52'39"N
Longitude: -4.5577 / 4°33'27"W
OS Eastings: 224041
OS Northings: 222995
OS Grid: SN240229
Mapcode National: GBR D4.RS5S
Mapcode Global: VH2NW.Y2DD
Entry Name: Maencoch
Listing Date: 6 August 2001
Last Amended: 6 August 2001
Source ID: 25626
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated down track running E from point about 300m N of Clyngwynne crossroads.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Farmhouse, late C18 or early C19, possibly remodelling of earlier building. The slate-hanging and the glazing are more recent perhaps earlier C20. Marked on 1839 Tithe map as owned by David Hancock as representative of John Hancock, occupied by William Evans, with 126 acres (51 hectares).
Farmhouse, slate-hung rubble stone with slate roof and red brick end stacks. Two-storey, 3-window range much offset to right with small and narrow 4-pane horned sashes and door in C20 porch-conservatory. Rendered left end wall. Outshut rear with window to left, door to right and 4-pane window in right end wall.
Central hall plan with room each side. Hall has pine partitions. Dogleg stair with moulded rail and square newel. Left room has very large inglenook fireplace with massive oak lintel. Corbelled area to right. Bread oven and blocked fire window within. C19 panelled doors. Rear dairy in outshut with rough joists. First floor pine partitions and boarded ceilings. Relatively thin tie-beam and collar roof trusses with double purlins.
Included as a substantial traditional farmhouse with good surviving interior features.