This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8795 / 51°52'46"N
Longitude: -4.5935 / 4°35'36"W
OS Eastings: 221581
OS Northings: 223286
OS Grid: SN215232
Mapcode National: GBR D2.RP8R
Mapcode Global: VH2NW.B0FZ
Entry Name: ,2,Piccadilly Square,Llanboidy,Whitland,,SA34 OEL
Listing Date: 6 August 2001
Last Amended: 6 August 2001
Source ID: 25633
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The second house of terrace of four on N side of square some 70m up from churchyard.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Terraced house of a row of four, part of an unusual later C19 development for the Maesgwynne estate, comprising the terrace, a pair of semi-detached houses on the E side, and 2 detached houses. The architect was almost certainly George Morgan of Carmarthen, whom W.R.H. Powell employed elsewhere in the village at the time. W. R. H. Powell (1819-89) of Maesgwynne was a prominent improving landlord and sporting figure, MP for E. Carmarthenshire for about 20 years. He rebuilt much of the village of Llanboidy including the Maesgwynne Arms hotel, the church, the Market Hall, the School and many of the houses. Powell was a noted breeder of racehorses and hounds, master of fox-hounds for many years, and very large crowds came to meetings at the racecourse he laid out SW of the village.
No 2 has rendered front wall, all windows replaced and door hood altered with blockwork rendered sides.
Included despite alteration as part of a later C19 country estate housing development, rare in the region.
Other nearby listed buildings