History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hepzibah Baptist Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Erwood, Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0771 / 52°4'37"N

Longitude: -3.3184 / 3°19'6"W

OS Eastings: 309745

OS Northings: 242905

OS Grid: SO097429

Mapcode National: GBR YS.C7HX

Mapcode Global: VH6BF.F2K0

Entry Name: Hepzibah Baptist Chapel

Listing Date: 3 August 2001

Last Amended: 3 August 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 25652

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated above village on W side of lane to Crickadarn some 130m S from A470.

County: Powys

Town: Builth Wells

Community: Erwood (Errwd)

Community: Erwood

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Llanstephan

History

Baptist Chapel of c1827, re-ordered in mid C19 from long-wall entry to gable-end entry. The gallery looks earlier to mid C19 but there may be two phases of alterations, the gallery coming before the pews and pulpit.

Exterior

Chapel, whitewashed rubble stone with half-hipped slate roof and red terracotta ridge tiles. N side wall, original facade, has 2 arched windows with stone voussoirs and blocked original door with stone voussoirs between. E end wall is windowless with marks of a similar large arched window. Two plaques of 1845 and 1853. S side wall has 2 arched windows as on N side, but one with brick voussoirs, the other stone. W end is rendered with arched doorway and plain C20 double doors. Blank plastered arch head.

Interior

Whitewashed plastered interior with W end gallery. The fittings mostly late C19, pitch pine pews, low pulpit platform with balusters each side of pulpit front. Boarded ceiling. Arched timber panel behind pulpit with painted inscription 'Emmanuel God with us'. The gallery looks older, painted with plain vertical panels and two chamfered timber posts.

Reasons for Listing

Included as an earlier C19 chapel with attractive painted timber gallery.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Pleasant View
    Situated in village centre on S side of main road, opposite Erwood Inn, on terrace over footpath running S.
  • II Erwood Hall
    Situated on E side of main road at S end of the village.
  • II Maesclettwr
    Situated at end of tarmac drive of some 650m from W side of the Wheelwrights Arms pub in Erwood.
  • II The Skreen
    Lies above the north bank of the River Wye 800 metres north of village of Erwood.
  • II Waggon shed at Llawr Llan
    Situated at NW corner of farmyard at Lower Llan, against boundary wall to farmhouse grounds.
  • II Barn at Llawr Llan
    Situated in centre of the farmyard at Llawr Llan, running N-S.
  • II Cowhouse and stable at Llawr Llan
    Situated across slope enclosing upper side of farmyard at Llawr Llan with link range to W connecting with rear of former farmhouse.
  • II Cart-shed with granary and pig-sties at Llawr Llan
    Situated on W edge of farmyard SW of S end of barn.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.