Weale Memorial in churchyard of Church of St Maritius
A Grade II Listed Building in Erwood, Powys
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building.
In some locations, Street View may not
give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1124 / 52°6'44"N
Longitude: -3.3548 / 3°21'17"W
OS Eastings: 307320
OS Northings: 246870
OS Grid: SO073468
Mapcode National: GBR YQ.94GN
Mapcode Global: VH6B6.S5TH
Entry Name: Weale Memorial in churchyard of Church of St Maritius
Listing Date: 3 August 2001
Last Amended: 3 August 2001
Source ID: 25654
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on slope W of the church.
Town: Builth Wells
Community: Erwood (Errwd)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Later C19 pedestal memorial with urn to Ann and Christopher Weale of Cwrt Gwenddwr.
Pedestal memorial, sandstone ashlar with plinth, framed plaques each side, moulded cornice and capstone carrying squat gadrooned urn.
Square railed enclosure with low ashlar coping and tall spearhead rails with dog-bars, the spearheads of cast-iron.
Plaques have quadrant rebates to corners. Inscription on S side to Ann Weale (d 1865) of Court Gwenddwr, and on W to Christopher Weale (d 1867).
Reasons for Listing
Included as a formal C19 memorial in a railed enclosure, of strong group value with the church.
Other nearby listed buildings
Church of St Maritius
Situated in small churchyard, reached by short lane up to NW from A470 some 120m N of Abernant.
Church of St Cewydd
Within a churchyard on the S side of the road through the village and on the N side of the River Edw
Immediately E of and below the parish church, on the S side of the road through the village, facing
Multi-purpose farm building at Dan-y-Coed Farm
On the S side of the farmhouse and forming the E side of the yard.
Hen Dy Ysgol
Set back from and above the N side of the road through the village, approximately 150m E of the pari
Approximately 300m NNE of the parish church, at the end of a by-road on the N side of the road throu
Situated about 1 km NW of Alltmawr, but reached via minor lane to Llanddewi 'r Cwm parallel to main
Malthouse at Alltmawr Isaf
Situated below and to S of barn at Alltmawr Isaf, opposite farmhouse.