This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1939 / 53°11'38"N
Longitude: -3.105 / 3°6'18"W
OS Eastings: 326269
OS Northings: 366883
OS Grid: SJ262668
Mapcode National: GBR 71.2VMG
Mapcode Global: WH770.8ZNC
Entry Name: Greenbank Farm Farmhouse
Listing Date: 15 August 2001
Last Amended: 15 August 2001
Source ID: 25682
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located at the end of Greenbank Lane which runs NE off Alltami Road.
Community: Northop (Llaneurgain)
Traditional County: Flintshire
Greenbank Farm was formerly known as Wared and belonged to the Soughton estate. An estate map of 1805 suggests that the original house was attached to the farm ranges to the NW. The house was rebuilt on a new site to the SE of the farm ranges c1860-70, when the farm ranges were also remodelled. It was one of 3 farms remodelled in this way by the Soughton estate, and they had identical farmhouses. The other farms are Ty'n y Caeau, which has had some alterations, and Rhosychellis which is demolished.
Farmhouse of one-and-a-half storeys with 2 gabled ranges at right angles forming a T-shaped plan. Constructed of large blocks of sandstone with quoins under slate roofs with 2 yellow brick ridge stacks. Casement windows with horizontal glazing bars under flat-arched pecked stone lintels with voussoirs and keystones, and with pecked stone sills. The front faces E with gabled porch in the angle of the 2 ranges; slate roof supported on timber posts with arched brace and struts to gable with pendant finials. Part-glazed panelled door with overlight. To the L is the advanced gable end with 3-light window to ground floor and 2-light window above. To the R of the porch is a 2-light window with a gabled half-dormer above containing a similar window. Adjoining to the R is a contemporary single-storey unit, a former wash-room, with 3-light casement to front and no openings to N gable end. To the rear (W) side is a full-width pentice with hipped slate roof supported on timber posts. A former doorway to the washroom has been blocked in stone. To the centre of the main range is a 2-light casement with plain stone lintel, with a gabled half dormer above. To its R is a very small light. The pentice roof continues at right angles to the R and is infilled with C20 glazing to form a rear porch. The S side of the E-W range has a central gabled half-dormer, with a 2-light casement beneath flanked by further windows. Window to W gable. Adjoining the NW angle of this range is a former dairy, a single-storey range with attic constructed of rubble sandstone under a slate roof. The attic was used for cheese-making and the N side has a gabled attic dormer L of centre containing a 2-light casement. Two windows below and R, with stone lintels and C20 small-pane glazing. Late C20 garage projecting to far R. The W gable end of the dairy has a planked door with 2-light casement above, both with pecked wedge lintels. Irregular lean-to to rear, perhaps for storing coal.
No access to interior of house at time of inspection. Some arched brickwork against the interior N wall of the dairy is thought to have been connected with a horse gin, used for grinding corn.
Listed as a little altered late C19 estate farmhouse retaining its character, and the best preserved of 3 estate farms in Northop which were of the same arrangement.
Group value with farm building.
Other nearby listed buildings