This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2035 / 53°12'12"N
Longitude: -3.1274 / 3°7'38"W
OS Eastings: 324789
OS Northings: 367969
OS Grid: SJ247679
Mapcode National: GBR 70.22T6
Mapcode Global: WH76Z.XRX1
Entry Name: Lower Soughton Hall
Listing Date: 15 August 2001
Last Amended: 15 August 2001
Source ID: 25692
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located at the end of a long straight driveway off the A5119, with associated houses and outbuildings to its SW.
Community: Northop (Llaneurgain)
Locality: Soughton Hall
Traditional County: Flintshire
House with Elizabethan origins, rebuilt or remodelled in 1865-6 by J W Walton and incorporating fragments of earlier work. The chimney pieces are by Brown & Lamont of Chester. The W wing, which has a stone plinth, is part of an earlier phase, possibly the original farmhouse. In 1832 it was described as an irregular house of some antiquity, at which time it was owned by John Conway, magistrate. It was much smaller in 1839, as shown on the Northop tithe map, where 2 ranges and an outbuilding are shown.
Large asymmetrical house in simple Tudor style, of 2 storeys and attics, with entrance front to N and garden front to S. Constructed of red brick with stone dressings under slate roofs with grouped brick stacks. Detail includes raised stone copings to gables with kneelers and pyramidal finials, stone quoins, brick plinth (stone to W range), and square-headed stone mullioned windows, mainly with transoms. These have ovolo-moulded mullions and contain renewed casement windows with quarry glazing. Entrance front has 3 gabled blocks, stepped back from L to R, with lower service range adjoining to L. Gabled porch to L of central block with Tudor-arched stone doorcase; blank tablet above supporting a light. Flat-headed ribbed wooden door with iron strapwork inside porch. Six-light window to 1st floor and blocked light to attic; small stairlight to R in narrow flat-roofed bay. Block to L has 5-light window with hoodmould to ground floor, 2 cross windows above and a short 4-light window to the attic. Between L and central gables is a stack with diagonally-set partly attached shafts. R return of central block has small window to each storey. Block to R has 4-light window with hoodmould to ground floor and smaller 4-light window above. The service range has 2 windows to ground; 3-light to R and 2-light to L, and a short 6-light window to attic storey.
The W side of the house has an added bay window to centre with hipped roof and containing a 5-light window; 2-light window above. Flanking lateral stacks, with 3 octagonal shafts to L, and stone quoins and 2 diagonally-set shafts to R. To the far R is a single light blocked with brick and a 2-light window above. Garden front has central range flanked by 2 advanced gabled wings. Late C20 single-storey conservatory in front of central range, of red brick with parapets and stone dressings. Double doors and flanking lights have decorative glazing with quarries. To the 1st floor is a short 11-light window; stack to R with 4 octagonal shafts. L gable end has 4-light windows to each storey, as N end of range. Added canted bay window with parapets to R gabled wing; 4-light window above. Truncated stack to R return with lead capping. Service range has 2-light window to L with 3 light-window above, and a 3-light gabled oriel on 5 stone corbels to R, possibly later. E end of house is 2-gable with linking range and faces into a small service courtyard. Projecting stack to L gable end with 3 truncated shafts with moulded caps. To L is a small light to upper storey; to R is a 3-light window. Linking range has a 2-light window over 3-light window. Advanced R gable end has C20 door in L return with light above. The gable has a 3-light window with 2 small lights below. The courtyard is enclosed by tall red brick walls to N and S sides with moulded stone copings and altered openings. At the E end, they join a small 2-storey brick house (originally for domestic staff?) with a corbelled stack to S side with 2 octagonal shafts, similar ridge stack to N, saw-tooth dentilled eaves, moulded string course, plain stone dressings to openings with replaced doors and wooden casement windows.
Entrance vestibule with Tudor arch, cloakroom to R under stairs and small stone fireplace to L. This leads into a large hall with openwell staircase to rear; turned balusters, square chamfered newels and ball finials. Large decorated oak fireplace to L with Tudor-arched head and fluting to overmantel. Canted ceiling with strapwork and foliage frieze. Full-height wooden panelling, c1900. Other detail includes panelled doors, some altered c1900; renewed casement windows which are in-set further than the originals. A wide opening straight ahead leads into a late C20 conservatory, and is flanked by 2-light windows (originally to the exterior). To the R (W) of the hall is a long narrow room, formerly 2 rooms, which appears to be part of an earlier phase, possibly the original house. Large Jacobean-style fireplace to W wall, brought from a former nunnery. Deep ceiling cornice of hand-made plaster with flower decoration. A passage between vestibule and hall leads E, with dining room to R with moulded coving, foliate ceiling rose and dark grey marble fireplace. On L side of passage is a back staircase and former breakfast room, containing a renewed fireplace with brick arched head and wooden panelling. Service rooms straight ahead, down some steps, including kitchen and former butler's pantry. Doorway with stairs to cellars, of stone and brick construction with flagstone floors including 2 vaulted chambers. On 1st floor landing, the balusters continue around the staircase well, with rooms leading off. The W rooms have unusual canted and moulded ceilings; their shape may reflect the roof structure of the earlier house, and some stone lintels have been found behind. Large bedroom above hall with central wooden arch, probably C19, but some parts appear to be reused. A short passage leads E to back staircase and short flight to attic storey, which has boxed-in beams. C19 roof trusses in loft, but those at W end are said to be earlier. The upper storey rooms over the service area have canted ceilings.
Listed as a large Victorian country house retaining its character and detail, and with earlier origins.
Other nearby listed buildings