This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2031 / 53°12'11"N
Longitude: -3.127 / 3°7'37"W
OS Eastings: 324818
OS Northings: 367924
OS Grid: SJ248679
Mapcode National: GBR 70.28WJ
Mapcode Global: WH76Z.YR4B
Entry Name: Bath-house at Lower Soughton Hall
Listing Date: 15 August 2001
Last Amended: 15 August 2001
Source ID: 25695
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Located on the E side of the gardens, which lie to the S of Lower Soughton Hall.
Community: Northop (Llaneurgain)
Locality: Soughton Hall
Traditional County: Flintshire
Bath-house or baptistery of unknown date, probably early-mid C19, and possibly contemporary with the house. In the spandrels above the entrance are the initials 'EML' and date '1710', but neither inscription appears to be original. The initials refer to Edward Lewis who lived at Lower Soughton; he was brother-in-law of Edward Conway who inherited the property in 1689. In 1832 Lower Soughton was described as having a fine well with an inscription 'EML 1710, but it is not clear whether this referred to the same structure.
Roughly square structure of rubble stone, now roofless, the walls standing full-height. Openings with segmental heads and moulded stone surrounds. The entrance faces E; doorway to R with inscriptions to spandrels, 'EML' to L and '1710' to R. To the L of the doorway is a large window, below which is an opening partly below ground level, which is over an overflow channel.
Circular water-filled well to centre with 4 steps on S side. Surrounded by a flagstone floor. To N, S and W walls are shallow round-arched recesses with stone voussoirs and stone or slate sills.
Listed as a good example of a Romantic garden structure, and for group value with Lower Soughton Hall.
Other nearby listed buildings