This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.016 / 52°0'57"N
Longitude: -4.3903 / 4°23'25"W
OS Eastings: 236063
OS Northings: 237986
OS Grid: SN360379
Mapcode National: GBR DB.H5NL
Mapcode Global: VH3KN.VLCC
Entry Name: Dolgoch Mill
Listing Date: 15 August 2001
Last Amended: 15 August 2001
Source ID: 25714
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Situated down a short driveway leading over a watercourse, in a slight hollow, below the Drefelin Road.
Locality: Drefach Felindre
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
The woollen factory here was established in 1880, and by 1899, Henry Davies was the proprietor. By 1947, G. Brdlik was the proprietor, making dress fabrics here. It closed in 1963.
Former water-powered woollen factory, known locally as Pensarn Mill, now residential units, comprising 2 ranges, one lower than the other, forming an L plan. Coursed slate rubble construction with brick heads to openings and some brick dressings, mainly 12-pane lights with small panes and swivelling 3-pane uppers. Slated roofs. Nine-bay taller range, upper windows under eaves, ground floor windows to bays 1, 3, 5, 8 and 9 and modern C20 timber doors with glazed upper panels to bays 2, 4 and 6. Bay 7 is a large boarded double door in timber beneath an outsize rough-cut timber lintel.
E gable end has small, modern brick stack and plain timber bargeboard. Attic window to L, 2 openings to 1st floor, widely spaced, similar glazing and brick heads.
Rear not inspected, but photographic evidence suggests 10-bay rear to higher range with replacement windows. Waterwheel survives to SW gable end, stamped 'Ellis Bros. Aberystwyth'.
Lower range rear has irregular facade with 7 windows to 1st floor, all replacement timber casements with slate sills and red brick dressings. Ground floor has 9 bays - entrances to bays 2 and 9 with replacement later C20 timber doors with glazed panels. Blocked windows to bays 1 and 6 in cement render. Replacement casements to remainder. Cambered brick heads throughout. Slated roofs with yellow brick end stack to N, replacement bargeboards.
Included as a well-preserved example (notwithstanding change of use) of a small purpose built water-powered wooleen factory: a comparatively early example of this type in this area. Retains industrial character (including waterwheel).
Other nearby listed buildings