This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5059 / 51°30'21"N
Longitude: -3.1623 / 3°9'44"W
OS Eastings: 319428
OS Northings: 179197
OS Grid: ST194791
Mapcode National: GBR KMB.W3
Mapcode Global: VH6F7.4DLW
Entry Name: Water Tower at Penylan Reservoir
Listing Date: 12 October 2001
Last Amended: 12 October 2001
Source ID: 25799
Building Class: Water Supply and Drainage
Location: Set back from the road opposite Penylan Oval.
Community: Roath (Y Rhath)
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built c1898 by C.H. Priestley, engineer to Cardiff Corporation, and William Harper, borough engineer. The tower and covered reservoir are first shown on the 1901 Ordnance Survey.
A square red-brick 2-stage tower with battered base below a freestone band, clasping buttresses, and freestone embattled parapet. In the base the front, facing Cyncoed Road, and rear have blocked round-headed doorways with impost bands. The rear has 2 superimposed round-headed windows in the tall lower stage (the lower window blocked). The side walls have tall narrow blind arches in the lower stage. In the upper stage the buttresses are corbelled out, and each face has 4 corbelled pilasters.
Listed as a rare surviving water tower associated with late C19 urban water supply, and as a prominent structure of distinctive character.
Other nearby listed buildings