This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7647 / 51°45'52"N
Longitude: -4.4915 / 4°29'29"W
OS Eastings: 228164
OS Northings: 210269
OS Grid: SN281102
Mapcode National: GBR GK.F57S
Mapcode Global: VH3LS.3XC2
Entry Name: Church of St Sadwrnen
Listing Date: 2 November 2001
Last Amended: 2 November 2001
Source ID: 25849
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Prominently sited in historic churchyard high above Carmarthen Bay, about 2 km west of Laugharne.
Community: Laugharne Township (Treflan Lacharn)
Community: Laugharne Township
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Rebuilt in 1859, on site of its medieval predecessor, possibly retaining some core fabric of predecessor. North vestry added 1919.
Church in Decorated Gothic Style. Red-brown stone with bathstone dressings, and relieving arches in blue-grey stone, stepped buttresses, slate roofs. Aisleless nave, chancel, SW tower, S porch, N vestry. Three bay nave with 2-light Decorated windows. South gabled porch which links (to L) with tower with steep pyramidal roof, parapet, single-light belfry windows; unusual round window with cusped tracery near ground level. Chancel with 3 single-light windows to N and S; 2-light E window. Three-light W window with quatrefoils in head. Lean-to vestry with prominent chimney on N side of nave.
Arch-braced roofs to nave and chancel; in E wall, medieval (C14?) niche with cinquefoiled ogee head and flanking pinnacles. The unusual round window low down in tower lights the old vestry which contains an Early Christian inscribed pillar-stone with inscription "TOTAVAL-/ FILIUS DOTHO/RANTI".
C19 church retaining evidence of pre-Conquest and Medieval origins.
Other nearby listed buildings