History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tomb group in St Bridget's Churchyard

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dyserth, Denbighshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3029 / 53°18'10"N

Longitude: -3.4175 / 3°25'3"W

OS Eastings: 305632

OS Northings: 379380

OS Grid: SJ056793

Mapcode National: GBR 4ZK7.XP

Mapcode Global: WH76G.G7TQ

Entry Name: Tomb group in St Bridget's Churchyard

Listing Date: 10 December 2001

Last Amended: 10 December 2001

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 25955

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: About 10 m south-east of the chancel of Dyserth Church.

County: Denbighshire

Community: Dyserth

Community: Dyserth

Locality: Dyserth Village

Built-Up Area: Dyserth

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Dyserth

History

A late-C17 tomb group mainly of the Hughes family. Much of the date information is eroded and illegible. An inscription in the church (1906) states that "beneath the canopied tombstones in the adjoining churchyard are interred the remains of many generations of the ancient family of Hughes of Llewerllyd in this parish, descended in the male line from Prince Cadwalladr."

The single stone at west of the main set is to Catherine --- of Llewerllyd, in C17 lettering. The hooded (i.e. canopied) and arched tomb to north of the middle set is dated 1676 and has cherubs and skulls and crossbones. The next is to John Hughes of Castell 1668 and others. The next, also hooded and arched, carries a skull and crossbones and painted heraldry. The fourth has a skull and crossbones and a guilloche border. The single tomb to the east of the main set has heraldry and a skull and crossbones.

Exterior

A group of tombstones, aligned in three ranks, possibly part only of an originally more extensive group. There are four tombs in a north-south alignment (two of which are made conspicuous with arched hoods), constituting the main rank or group, plus one tomb to the west and one to the east, making six in the now identifiable whole group. All are in sandstone, with ledger stones raised on arches or balusters. Other balusters of similar form, preserved in the church, may come from lost tombs in this group; illegibility makes it impossible to say if others still extant belong logically to this group.

Reasons for Listing

A fine set of C17 tombstones of a locally characteristic type including two exceptional hooded tombs, commemorating a local gentry family; with contemporary carving, lettering and painting, standing in a compact group.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II* Church of St Bridget
    At the centre of the village of Dyserth, within a large churchyard. Stone churchyard wall with triangular coping; steel gates to west, north and south.
  • II Telephone Call-box at Entrance to Car Park for Waterfall
    Set back from the road beyond the Afon Ffyddion stream, at the entrance to the car park for the waterfall opposite Bethel Chapel.
  • II Coronation Hall (former Chapel)
    Set back from the main street, reached by Maes-y-llys or by a footpath to the side of Chelsea Cottage.
  • II The Old Manor (Dyserth Care Hotel)
    Set back from the main street on the west side, on a site bounded by the Afon Ffyddion to the south and Glan Ffyddion cul-de-sac to the north; reached by a small private drive.
  • II* Dyserth Hall
    At the corner of Ffordd Talargoch and Dyserth Road. Stone-walled forecourt with iron gate and rails; stone-walled drive from road. Garden to S and W, farmyard (now converted to domestic units) to N.
  • II Roadside Well opposite Dyserth Hall
    At side of road, just south of turning to Dyserth Hall Mews
  • II Viaduct over Dyserth and Cwm Railway
    Over Prestatyn-Dyserth walkway, formerly the Dyserth and Cwm branch railway, about 200 m north-west of Anglia Buildings offices
  • II Limekiln 2 off Upper Foel Road
    Second limekiln from the north in a group of five surviving at the east side of Upper Foel road (200 m north of Sunningdale).

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.