This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9151 / 52°54'54"N
Longitude: -3.6005 / 3°36'1"W
OS Eastings: 292478
OS Northings: 336496
OS Grid: SH924364
Mapcode National: GBR 6D.NFWG
Mapcode Global: WH66Z.NZPL
Entry Name: Statue of Lewis Edwards at Coleg Bala
Listing Date: 13 December 2001
Last Amended: 13 December 2001
Source ID: 25990
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: Located immediately in front of Coleg Bala.
Community: Bala (Y Bala)
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Statue commemorating Lewis Edwards (1809-87), founder and first principal of the of the Bala Theological College; by Sir W Goscombe John, R.A., sculptor, and erected in 1911; cast by A. B. Burton of Thames Ditton. Edwards was a notable teacher and theologian and was regarded as one of the greatest preachers of his day. His achievements in the fields of theology and education were of considerable significance for C19 Wales.
Over-lifesized bronze statue of Lewis Edwards, depicted seated in a chair; on a 2-part rectangular plinth of pink/brown granite with inscriptions to the front and rear. The base of the bronze statue is inscribed :` A B Burton, Founder, Thames Ditton,' on one side, and:` W Goscombe John R.A. 1911,' on the other.
Listed as a fine statue by a notable sculptor, and as commemorating Lewis Edwards, an influential figure in C19 Wales.
Other nearby listed buildings