This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9932 / 51°59'35"N
Longitude: -4.9774 / 4°58'38"W
OS Eastings: 195679
OS Northings: 236941
OS Grid: SM956369
Mapcode National: GBR CK.JQ14
Mapcode Global: VH1QM.N5Z9
Entry Name: Bennett's Navy Tavern
Listing Date: 24 November 1978
Last Amended: 7 January 2002
Source ID: 26078
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated on the street between Nos 18 and 22.
Community: Fishguard and Goodwick (Abergwaun ac Wdig)
Community: Fishguard and Goodwick
Built-Up Area: Fishguard
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Earlier C19 commercial premises now inn, formerly occupied by G Bennett & Co, wine and spirit importers and merchants, established in 1823. Building marked on 1844 tithe map. Apparently built as house and commercial premises, it retains an exceptionally rare Georgian shopfront with bowed shop-windows.
Inn, colourwashed roughcast and stucco dressings with slate close-eaved roofs. Two-storey, 3-bay main range with end stacks, left stack rubble stone and right stack roughcast. Low one-window range to left, a service range. Stuccoed door and windows surrounds and broad below first floor sills. Three first floor 12-pane sash windows in eared surrounds and one similiar to ground floor right. House door slightly right of centre, 6-panel with 4 fielded panels and overlight. Window and door surrounds have keystones. To left is fine earlier C19 double shopfront with 16-pane bow-windows flanking doorway with double half-glazed doors and overlight, all in casing of pilasters and cornice. Steps to cellar to right enclosed by C19 iron gate and railings with scrolled finials, the gate with dog bars.
Lower possible service wing to left with 6-pane sash over 16-pane sash, first floor band continued across. Small stone and brick left end stack.
Rear cross-wing to main house with slate-hung SW wall and with a sash window with glazing bars on first floor in both NE and SW elevations.
Included as earlier C19 commercial premises with exceptional Georgian double shopfront.
Other nearby listed buildings