This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6107 / 51°36'38"N
Longitude: -2.9513 / 2°57'4"W
OS Eastings: 334223
OS Northings: 190631
OS Grid: ST342906
Mapcode National: GBR J7.9QBS
Mapcode Global: VH7B6.SSM4
Entry Name: Garden Wall of Pen-y-mynde
Listing Date: 18 January 2002
Last Amended: 18 January 2002
Source ID: 26115
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Along the south east side of Castle Lane at the northern end.
Community: Caerleon (Caerllion)
Built-Up Area: Caerleon
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
This wall is a part of the wall constructed round The Mynde (now No 14 High Street) in 1839. The owner of the house and of Ponthir Plate Works, John Jenkins, was frightened by the possibility of violence and destruction of property by the Chartist Movement and built the wall right round his property to protect it. It is now in six different ownerships, but continues to be visually very important to Caerleon. Its fortress like appearance pays respect to the Castle Mound a large Norman motte within the enclosure.
Coursed squared local red sandstone and conglomerate rubble wall from 4 to 5m in height. It is castellated as it goes along Mill Street and at the corner with Castle Lane has a square turret about 7m in height. It declines in height in Castle Lane and the castellations may have been removed from the rest. There is a pointed arch doorway and then the modern splayed entrance to Pen-y-mynde. It is about 50m long to each street. Interior face not seen.
Included as a fine wall built in 1839 with historic associations and group value with the surrounding buildings in the centre of Caerleon.
Other nearby listed buildings