This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6103 / 51°36'36"N
Longitude: -2.9557 / 2°57'20"W
OS Eastings: 333918
OS Northings: 190591
OS Grid: ST339905
Mapcode National: GBR J7.9P8R
Mapcode Global: VH7B6.QS9F
Entry Name: Lych Gate of the Church of St Cadoc
Listing Date: 18 January 2002
Last Amended: 18 January 2002
Source ID: 26117
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: At the High Street entrance to the churchyard of the Church of St Cadoc and opposite The Endowed School.
Community: Caerleon (Caerllion)
Built-Up Area: Caerleon
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
A memorial to the fallen of WWI by W D Caroe, erected in 1919.
The structure is built of snecked limestone ashlar with a stone slate roof, wrought iron gates and railings. The gateway is a flattened arch with strip buttresses to the piers on both outer and inner faces. Gabled roof with bell-cast and central pole finial. This is flanked by dwarf stone walls capped by spike railings and terminates with panelled piers with stepped cornice and finial.
Included as an attractive lych-gate designed by W.D Caroe, which is a memorial to WWI and has strong group value with the surrounding historic buildings in Caerleon centre.
Other nearby listed buildings