This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6089 / 51°36'32"N
Longitude: -2.952 / 2°57'7"W
OS Eastings: 334170
OS Northings: 190437
OS Grid: ST341904
Mapcode National: GBR J7.9XV8
Mapcode Global: VH7B6.ST7H
Entry Name: Church of Ss David, Julian and Aaron
Listing Date: 18 January 2002
Last Amended: 18 January 2002
Source ID: 26124
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On the southern approach to the Market Place at the centre of Caerleon.
Community: Caerleon (Caerllion)
Built-Up Area: Caerleon
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The church was built in 1885 at the expense of Robert Wollett (plaque) of The Mynde and on land presented by him. Designed by Graham, Son & Hitchcox. It has been very little altered since apart from recent reroofing and redecorating internally.
The church is built of coursed grey lias rubble with freestone dressings and a red plain tile roof which has been replaced in the 1990s. The plan is gable end to the street with west porch, nave and chancel. The presbytery (qv The Priest's House) adjoins but stands separately from the church. The small porch has a pointed arch doorway and plank doors, gable cross. The nave gable has a small arched light to either side of the porch and the gable is crowned by a corbelled, gabled bellcote with single bell. The south wall has three large 2-light windows which break the roofline under gables, roundel above the two pointed lights, the north wall has only two, the ones nearest the street. Chancel not seen from the outside but it has a window on the south wall and a 2-light east window cusped headed lights and trefoil above.
Plain interior with chancel arch with triple colonnettes. Three bay roof to the nave with arch braced tie beams and two tiers of purlins. Common rafter roof to chancel. Plain furnishings, altered in the sanctuary. Benefactors plaque to Robert Wollett of The Mynde.
Included as a church of 1885 retaining special historic character and having strong group value with the surrounding historic buildings in the centre of Caerleon.
Other nearby listed buildings