This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6088 / 51°36'31"N
Longitude: -2.9519 / 2°57'6"W
OS Eastings: 334178
OS Northings: 190426
OS Grid: ST341904
Mapcode National: GBR J7.9XWL
Mapcode Global: VH7B6.ST9K
Entry Name: The Priest's House with attached wall and gates
Listing Date: 18 January 2002
Last Amended: 18 January 2002
Source ID: 26125
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the southern approach to the Market Place at the centre of Caerleon.
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Built in 1885 at the expense of Robert Wollett (plaque in the church) of The Mynde and on land presented by him. It was probably designed by Graham, Son and Hitchcox as the church (qv). It has been very little altered since apart from recent reroofing.
The presbytery is built of coursed grey lias rubble with red brick dressings and chimneys; red tile roof recently replaced. L-shaped plan with octagonal clasping corner tower. The entrance wing is to the High Street, the rear wing faces Castle Street. The entrance wing has a long 4 light timber window, 4 pane lights with trefoil above under a common elliptical head, red brick cill band. This window is a slight projection which rises to a gable. The upper floor has a repeat window without the elliptical head; the gable has vertical timber framing with render and scalloped bargeboards. The next bay has a replacement door, overlight under an elliptical head; above is a single light window as before. Roof gable, the right hand end of which rests on the corner tower which has three visible faces, each with a single light window as above in each floor, corbelled red brick bands between floors, conical roof. The High Street frontage has a dwarf stone wall capped with glazed red bricks and topped by a decorative wrought iron fence with gates, all contemporary. The wing facing Castle Street has a wall chimney to the left and a gable to the right. Two single light arched windows to the ground floor, 3-light window under timber framed gable as before.
Rear elevation not seen.
Not inspected at time of resurvey.
Included as a house of 1885 retaining special historic character and having strong group value with the surrounding historic buildings in the centre of Caerleon.
Other nearby listed buildings