This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3119 / 53°18'42"N
Longitude: -4.272 / 4°16'19"W
OS Eastings: 248729
OS Northings: 381844
OS Grid: SH487818
Mapcode National: GBR HMTY.HWS
Mapcode Global: WH42N.B0YW
Entry Name: Tyddyn Traian
Listing Date: 22 January 2002
Last Amended: 27 August 2002
Source ID: 26138
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Set back from the NW side of the B5110 on the SW approach to the village of Brynteg.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Traditional County: Anglesey
C18 or early C19 cottage which is recorded in the Tithe Apportionment of the parish, 1841, as Penrhos. The cottage was the centre of a small farm of over 15 acres(6.08 hectares), owned by Sir Lord Stanley of Alderley and farmed by William Davies and his family. Extended in later C19 by the addition of a single window wing in alignment at the R end.
Linear range comprising cottage, with single window addition at R end and agricultural range to L. Built of rubble masonry, limewashed; roof of old slates, with some grouting, stone copings and gable stacks denoting extent of original cottage; a massive stack to L and a rendered rectangular stack to right. The cottage has openings offset slightly to the R, the doorway flanked by 4-pane sash windows, the added wing to the R end has a single window and boarded door to far right. The agricultural range has 2 doorways and a single window to the R end and was probably cowhouse and/or stable and barn.
Not inspected at the time of the survey.
Listed as a well preserved cottage which retains a strong vernacular character and which retains the original linear plan, typical of many small farmstead groups on the island.
Other nearby listed buildings