This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1903 / 53°11'25"N
Longitude: -3.1574 / 3°9'26"W
OS Eastings: 322766
OS Northings: 366536
OS Grid: SJ227665
Mapcode National: GBR 6Z.31JK
Mapcode Global: WH775.G2QL
Entry Name: Gate and Gate Piers at SE end of arboretum at Gwysaney
Listing Date: 31 January 2002
Last Amended: 31 January 2002
Source ID: 26167
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: On the N side of the formal garden N of the house.
Community: Halkyn (Helygain)
Traditional County: Flintshire
Brought from the chancel of Mold church, having been discarded during restoration in 1856-7. Ironwork in the chancel at Mold was installed in 1726, probably the work of Robert Davies of Croes Foel Forge near Wrexham, the foremost architectural iron smith working in Wales and one of the leading exponents of Baroque ironwork in Britain. Additional ironwork was forged in 1731-2 by Thomas Cheswise, 'whitesmith' of Hawarden, who was commissioned to produce a screen for the S side of the chancel 'in the same manner and in every respect' as the ironwork on the N side of the chancel of 1726. It is not now possible to separate the work of Cheswise and Davies. While some of the discarded ironwork was taken to Gwysaney, the remainder was re-erected Colomendy, and in the churchyards of Gwernaffield and Cilcain.
Gwysaney is a Jacobean mansion of 1603. Its E wing was demolished c1823, while additions were made to the house for the Davies-Cooke family in 1863-5 and 1906. The gate was set up in its present position at the SE end of the arboretum planted in the C19, in the C20.
Simple Baroque style wrought iron gate. Dog rails have spear finials, and beneath the top rail is a fretwork panel. A scrolled overthrow incorporates repousse foliage and has cast iron finials. Openwork piers have elaborate scrolled cresting including some repousse work.
Listed as an important surviving fragment of early C18 architectural ironwork and for its contribution, with other listed items, to the setting of the house.
Other nearby listed buildings