This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.19 / 53°11'23"N
Longitude: -3.1577 / 3°9'27"W
OS Eastings: 322744
OS Northings: 366501
OS Grid: SJ227665
Mapcode National: GBR 6Z.31GG
Mapcode Global: WH775.G2KT
Entry Name: Coach House, Stable & Implement Store on N side of Gwysaney
Listing Date: 31 January 2002
Last Amended: 31 January 2002
Source ID: 26169
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the N side of the house, facing a yard, and on the W side of the formal garden.
Community: Halkyn (Helygain)
Traditional County: Flintshire
Gwysaney is a Jacobean mansion built in 1603, although the present group of outbuildings belong principally to the revival of the Gwysaney Estate in the C19 by the Davies-Cooke family. The coach house is first shown on the 1870 Ordnance Survey, while the implement store is first shown on the 1899 Ordnance Survey.
A lofted coach house and stable with former implement store projecting at R angles at the L end. Of coursed tooled stone and slate roof with crow-stepped gable to the R, where an angle buttress is attached to the wall of the formal garden. A keyed basket arch to the coach house doorway is on the R and has double boarded doors with strap hinges. To its L is a keyed segmental head to a boarded door with strap hinges, with a horizontal sash window to the R and replaced 3-light window L incorporating a casement, both with segmental heads. Above are 2 boarded pitching eyes. The formerly open-fronted implement store has stone walls and slate roof, with stepped gable to the L, but is infilled with brick garages. In the angle between the store and the workshop is a narrow passage leading to stone steps in the gable end of the workshop.
In the R gable end is a blocked doorway, the blocking of which contains a stone tablet engraved 'PBDC 1902'. The rear also has an infilled doorway on the L side, below a loft opening with stone segmental head. A rubble-stone garden wall is attached at the R end.
Listed as a well-detailed and well-preserved C19 outbuilding and for group value with other associated listed items at Gwysaney.
Other nearby listed buildings