This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1898 / 53°11'23"N
Longitude: -3.158 / 3°9'28"W
OS Eastings: 322721
OS Northings: 366482
OS Grid: SJ227664
Mapcode National: GBR 6Z.31C7
Mapcode Global: WH775.G2DY
Entry Name: Stable Cottage
Listing Date: 31 January 2002
Last Amended: 31 January 2002
Source ID: 26170
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the NW side of the house and the W side of the main stable yard.
Community: Halkyn (Helygain)
Traditional County: Flintshire
Gwysaney is a Jacobean mansion built in 1603, although the present group of outbuildings belong principally to the revival of the Gwysaney Estate in the C19 by the Davies-Cooke family. The stable, however, is C17 in origin but was probably partly adapted as a dwelling in the C19 when a porch was added at the downhill gable end, and when an extension was made at the uphill gable end. This work is similar in style to the service wing of the 1860s and probably therefore of similar date. Additional stabling was provided by the addition of a gabled projection at the uphill end in the last quarter of the C19 and first shown on the 1899 Ordnance Survey. The building was converted to domestic use in the mid C20 by inserting windows and doorway into the rear, allowing the front elevation to retain original character.
Lofted former stable of rubble stone with bigger quoins, and slate roof behind crow-stepped gables with stone ridge stack L of centre. Facing the yard to the E, the front has a doorway offset R of centre, with stone lintel flanked by 4-light ovolo-moulded mullioned windows with simple drip moulds. The loft has three 4-light openings offset to the R side, with wooden diamond mullions, now glazed.
Against the L (downhill) gable end is a lower and narrower C19 porch with castellated parapet. A boarded door under wooden lintel faces the front. The side wall has an inserted window. The gable end of the main range has a cross window R of the porch, and loft windows centre and R with wooden mullions under concrete lintels, inserted mid C20. The 2-window rear also has mid C20 inserted wood-mullioned windows, equally placed in the upper storey but placed on the R side in the lower storey, which also has a porch offset L of centre. A boarded door with glazed panel is in the porch side wall.
A lower C19 extension to the R (uphill) gable end of the main range is of snecked stone and slate roof behind a stepped gable. It has a doorway on the L side with shallow segmental arch and boarded door. In its gable end is a 4-light ovolo-moulded mullioned window with drip mould. Set back against the R gable end is an added stable projection of rubble stone and slate roof behind coped gables. It has a wide doorway under a basket arch with rock-faced voussoirs. The rear of the C19 extension has a single-storey gabled projection parallel with and attached to the added stable at the uphill end. It has a segmental-headed 4-light casement in the gable end and a boarded door under stone lintel in the side wall. The rear of the loose box wing has a stepped gable and double ventilation strips below the apex.
Listed as a C17 lofted stable retaining original detail and C19 character, and for group value with other associated listed items at Gwysaney.
Other nearby listed buildings