This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1835 / 53°11'0"N
Longitude: -3.1632 / 3°9'47"W
OS Eastings: 322366
OS Northings: 365791
OS Grid: SJ223657
Mapcode National: GBR 6Z.3D3M
Mapcode Global: WH775.C7YS
Entry Name: Joiners Shop and former Implement Store at Gwysaney Saw Mill
Listing Date: 31 January 2002
Last Amended: 31 January 2002
Source ID: 26184
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Set back on the N side of the A541 behind Greenfields.
Community: Halkyn (Helygain)
Traditional County: Flintshire
Part of the Gwysaney Estate, the joiners shop and implement store were built in the final quarter of the C19 and are first shown on the 1899 Ordnance Survey. Gwysaney was built in 1603 but the historic character of the estate is derived principally from its redevelopment and enlargement after Philip Davies-Cooke inherited Gwysaney in 1821.
The joiners shop is a 2-storey 3-window range of rock-faced stone with freestone dressings, and slate roof. Facing the yard on the S side are 3-light mullioned windows with hood moulds in each storey. In the L gable end is a basket arch to a wide doorway with a boarded sliding door to the R side. A boarded upper-storey door is directly above it in the upper storey. The ground level is higher at the rear, where there are two 2-light mullioned windows in the upper storey.
Against the R gable end of the joiners shop is a former implement store, the centre and L side of which was formerly open-fronted but is now infilled with corrugated iron sheets and glazed panels. The wall is rubble stone on the R side, and to the gable end.
The joiners shop has a 3-bay roof with king posts and raking struts. The implement store has a similar 6-bay roof. The trusses in the latter are carried on a long timber wall plate to the front which is supported by a single cast iron column now concealed behind the corrugated iron sheeting.
Listed as an estate building retaining original character and for its contribution to the historic character of the Gwysaney Estate.
Other nearby listed buildings