This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1925 / 53°11'32"N
Longitude: -3.1677 / 3°10'3"W
OS Eastings: 322083
OS Northings: 366789
OS Grid: SJ220667
Mapcode National: GBR 6Y.2YWQ
Mapcode Global: WH775.90VX
Entry Name: Stable and Shippon at Shifna-hyr Farm
Listing Date: 31 January 2002
Last Amended: 31 January 2002
Source ID: 26189
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: On the W side of the farmhouse.
Community: Halkyn (Helygain)
Traditional County: Flintshire
Built in the mid C19 and first shown on the 1870 Ordnance Survey. Rear outshuts and extension are added, the outshut on the N side by 1899, and a milking parlour on the S side in the early C20. Gwysaney was built in 1603 but the historic character of the estate is derived principally from its redevelopment and enlargement after Philip Davies-Cooke inherited Gwysaney in 1821. Shifna-hyr Farm was developed as the home farm of the estate.
A lofted rubble-stone multi-purpose farm building with rock-faced and tooled dressings, and slate roof behind coped gables. Windows have small-pane iron-frame glazing above horizontal-sliding vents. At the L end is a doorway with boarded door, then 2 windows with segmental heads, followed by 2 alternating doorways and windows, of which the R-hand doorway has no door. The loft has 4 pitching eyes, 2 ventilation strips L of centre, and a central segmental-headed window. Against the R gable end is a lower added loose box with a single doorway and window to its R, and 2 ventilation strips in the gable end. Against the L gable end is a lean-to set back, with a wood-lintelled boarded door and flanking hopper windows.
The rear has a continuous outshut built in 2 phases separated by a central vertical joint, of which the L side is earlier. On the R side of the joint is an early C20 milking parlour, which has 3 metal-framed windows and 2 roof vents, while on the L side of the joint is a window similar to the front. Its end wall has a doorway with a flattened arch of yellow brick.
Listed as a well-preserved C19 farm building contributing to the historic character of Shifna-hyr Farm, and for its contribution to the overall historic character of the Gwysaney Estate.
Other nearby listed buildings