History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hafod Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Pentre Halkyn, Flintshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2402 / 53°14'24"N

Longitude: -3.1859 / 3°11'9"W

OS Eastings: 320950

OS Northings: 372120

OS Grid: SJ209721

Mapcode National: GBR 6Z6Z.16

Mapcode Global: WH76S.1T5C

Entry Name: Hafod Farmhouse

Listing Date: 31 January 2002

Last Amended: 31 January 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 26192

Building Class: Domestic

Location: On the N side of the A55 and reached by farm road on N side of slip road to junction E of Pentre Halkyn.

County: Flintshire

Town: Holywell

Community: Halkyn (Helygain)

Community: Halkyn

Locality: Lygan-y-wern

Built-Up Area: Pentre Halkyn

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Halkyn

History

Hafod Farm was sold by the Hope family to the Grosvenor Estate in 1804. In 1860 the old house was replaced by a new farmstead intended to be the model farm of the Grosvenor Estate. The Grosvenor family owned an extensive estate and mineral rights in the Halkyn area. Halkyn Castle was built for the second Earl Grosvenor in 1824-7 and was used as an occasional residence. The Earl was later made Duke of Westminster.

Exterior

Farmhouse in Georgian style. Brick with rusticated stone quoins and dressings, slate roof with brick stacks. Central porch flanked by tripartite sash windows, with a smaller sash window over the entrance. A set-back single storey addition (with conservatory) links the house to a 2-storey cheese house and dairy.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for architectural interest as an estate farmhouse retaining strong original character.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II The Old Rectory
    Approximately 0.6km NW of the parish church, reached by private drive on the N side of the B5123.
  • II Gatepiers at Lygan-y-wern
    On the E side and at the main entrance to the house.
  • II Lygan-y-wern
    In its own grounds immediately E of the A55 and W of a minor road between Pentre Halkyn and Bagillt.
  • II Milepost
    On the N side of the A55 and on the E side of a junction of a minor road to Plas Isaf Farm.
  • II Dovecote at Lygan-y-wern
    On the N side of the house.
  • II 1 Halkyn Old Hall
    In its own grounds approximately 400m NW of the parish church and reached by drive on the S side of
  • II 2 Halkyn Old Hall
    In its own grounds approximately 400m NW of the parish church and reached by drive on the S side of
  • II The Old Hall
    In its own grounds approximately 300m WNW of the parish church and reached by drive on the S side of

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.