This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2326 / 53°13'57"N
Longitude: -3.1917 / 3°11'30"W
OS Eastings: 320549
OS Northings: 371279
OS Grid: SJ205712
Mapcode National: GBR 6X.0C6C
Mapcode Global: WH76Y.Y09N
Entry Name: Folly W of The Old Hall
Listing Date: 31 January 2002
Last Amended: 31 January 2002
Source ID: 26198
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Approximately 100m W of and uphill from The Old Hall.
Community: Halkyn (Helygain)
Traditional County: Flintshire
Built in the early C19 by the Grosvenor Estate as an eye-catcher that concealed its utilitarian function as a farm building and dwelling. It is shown on the 1839 Tithe map, at which time it was partly occupied as a dwelling. It remained subdivided, probably with a dwelling at the S end, as late as 1899, and is shown as such on the Ordnance Survey of that date. The Grosvenor family owned an extensive estate and mineral rights in the Halkyn area. Halkyn Castle was built for the second Earl Grosvenor in 1824-7 and was used as an occasional residence. The Earl was later made Duke of Westminster.
Castellated rubble stone façade with slightly raised end turrets, and short end walls concealing a lean-to behind with modern slate roof. The double-height front wall has 4 segmental-headed openings at the upper level retaining early wooden frames. Below is a central doorway with early wooden frame, but above is the rubble-stone blocking of an earlier, taller opening beneath a stone segmental head. To its L is a window with a brick segmental head while on the R side is a boarded door under a wooden lintel. The L end wall has stone ledges and 2 openings, originally for a pigeon loft. The rear wall has infilled ventilation strips.
A C19 fireplace is against the L wall. Joist sockets indicate an original upper storey. The interior is divided by stone partitions.
Listed as a striking and well-preserved eye-catcher in a prominent location, and for group value with The Old Hall.
Other nearby listed buildings