This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2307 / 53°13'50"N
Longitude: -3.1869 / 3°11'12"W
OS Eastings: 320867
OS Northings: 371065
OS Grid: SJ208710
Mapcode National: GBR 6Y.0DCF
Mapcode Global: WH76Z.02P3
Entry Name: Gate Piers and attached Walls at entrance to Halkyn Castle
Listing Date: 31 January 2002
Last Amended: 31 January 2002
Source ID: 26200
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: On the N side of Halkyn Castle at the main entrance on the E side of the B5123 opposite the parish church.
Community: Halkyn (Helygain)
Traditional County: Flintshire
Halkyn Castle was built 1824-7 by John Buckler, architect, for the 2nd Earl Grosvenor. Two driveways, with associated entrance lodges, were an integral component of the original layout of the park.
Square gate piers of pecked stone with moulded caps. Flanking walls of coursed pecked stone and moulded copings curve outwards. They terminate in low square piers with moulded caps (missing on the L side), to which rubble stone boundary walls are attached.
Listed for its contribution to the historic character of Halkyn Castle and village.
Other nearby listed buildings