History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brick Kiln and Stack

A Grade II Listed Building in Halkyn, Flintshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2001 / 53°12'0"N

Longitude: -3.1913 / 3°11'28"W

OS Eastings: 320520

OS Northings: 367660

OS Grid: SJ205676

Mapcode National: GBR 6X.2K8V

Mapcode Global: WH76Y.YTJM

Entry Name: Brick Kiln and Stack

Listing Date: 31 January 2002

Last Amended: 31 January 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 26205

Building Class: Industrial

Location: At the former Hendre Brickworks, on waste ground on the N side of the A541 NW of Ruby Houses and the junction with a minor road to Rhosesmor.

County: Flintshire

Town: Holywell

Community: Halkyn (Helygain)

Community: Halkyn

Locality: Hendre

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Halkyn

History

A brickworks is shown at Hendre on the 1899 Ordnance Survey with a single kiln. The surviving kiln and its stack appears to have been added by 1912. The kiln was of downdraught type built for intermittent firing.

Exterior

A round kiln of brick strengthened by steel straps, with domed roof and round opening at the apex. Around the sides are a series of mainly blind windows above former brick flues (all now blocked on the inside). Against the S side is a later brick enclosure, within which is the original round-headed doorway. A N doorway is opposite, the original lintel of which is missing. Inside, the floor is laid with concrete concealing the original flues. A square brick stack stands on the E side of the kiln.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for industrial archaeological interest as a rare surviving small brick kiln with integral stack.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Ore Dressing Shed
    To the SW of the engine house.
  • II Boiler Stack at Taylor's Shaft
    On the S side of the engine house.
  • II Taylor's Shaft Engine House
    At the former North Hendre Lead Mine, in woodland on the N side of the A541 E of Hendre Villas.
  • II Lime Kiln
    Situated at the northern edge of the village beside the by road off the A541 which runs through the village.
  • II Lygan Uchaf
    Approximately 1.3km WSW of Rhosesmor church, reached by farm road E of a minor road between Hendre and Moel-y-crio. At the S end of a yard with L-shaped farm range.
  • II Engine House at Hendre
    Situated in the side of a hill on the edge of Hendre Quarry approximately 0.3km NW of Hendre. Reached from a private road to Hendre Quarry running N off the A541 near Hendre.
  • II* Church of St John
    Situated in the churchyard close to the centre of the village
  • II Pyro Building P5 (Carillion Building 50) at Rhydymwyn Valley Site
    On very large site to the SW of the A 541 at Rhydymwyn. This building is about 100m W of the old railway, and about 300 metres S of Nant Alyn Road.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.