History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Britannia Inn

A Grade II Listed Building in Halkyn, Flintshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2312 / 53°13'52"N

Longitude: -3.1831 / 3°10'59"W

OS Eastings: 321123

OS Northings: 371115

OS Grid: SJ211711

Mapcode National: GBR 6Y.0F91

Mapcode Global: WH76Z.21JQ

Entry Name: Britannia Inn

Listing Date: 31 January 2002

Last Amended: 31 January 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 26210

Building Class: Commercial

Location: Approximately 200m E of the parish church, opposite Lygan-y-llan farm.

County: Flintshire

Town: Holywell

Community: Halkyn (Helygain)

Community: Halkyn

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Halkyn

History

The Britannia Inn was purchased by the Grosvenor Estate in 1807 and was a coaching inn on the Holyhead to Chester road. It is shown on the 1839 Tithe map but was rebuilt in the mid C19 in estate style, and is shown in its present form on the 1870 Ordnance Survey. The Grosvenor family owned an extensive estate and mineral rights in the Halkyn area. Halkyn Castle was built for the second Earl Grosvenor in 1824-7 and was used as an occasional residence. The Earl was later made Duke of Westminster.

Exterior

A 2-storey 3-window inn facing S, of rubble stone with bigger quoins, slate roof behind coped gables on moulded kneelers, and coursed stone stacks L of centre and to each end. Small-pane windows are replaced in original openings with hood moulds and stone sills. The castellated porch is R of centre and has a Tudor-headed doorway in a freestone surround. Within is a half-lit door. The rear has 5 replaced small-pane windows in the upper storey under hood moulds, beneath which is an added lean-to attached to a single-storey wing on the W side. Rear windows with hood moulds are retained in the lean-to at the rear.

Interior

The interior has been altered by removal of a partition wall, but the central room retains a fireplace with timber lintel.

Reasons for Listing

Listed, notwithstanding replacement of windows, as a public house retaining estate character and with interesting earlier origins as a coaching inn, and for its important contribution to the historic character of Halkyn village.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.