A Grade II Listed Building in Rhosesmor, Flintshire
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building.
In some locations, Street View may not
give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2104 / 53°12'37"N
Longitude: -3.1821 / 3°10'55"W
OS Eastings: 321151
OS Northings: 368803
OS Grid: SJ211688
Mapcode National: GBR 6Y.1MKD
Mapcode Global: WH76Z.2KZP
Entry Name: Lime Kiln
Listing Date: 31 January 2002
Last Amended: 31 January 2002
Source ID: 26220
Building Class: Industrial
Location: E of Foel Farm, approximately 300m NW of the parish church, set back on the N side of a minor road between Rhosesmor and Moel-y-crio.
Community: Halkyn (Helygain)
Built-Up Area: Rhosesmor
Traditional County: Flintshire
Built in the third quarter of the C19 and first shown on the 1870 Ordnance Survey. It served a small quarry on the N side of the kiln.
A lime kiln built against a bank to facilitate charging from the top, of battered rubble stone walls with bigger quoins, and a round-headed draw arch with voussoirs. The kiln lining is mainly collapsed and infilled.
Reasons for Listing
Listed for industrial archaeological interest as rare surviving, prominently located kiln, representing an important local industry.
Other nearby listed buildings
Church of St Paul
In a walled churchyard in the centre of the village.
Rhosesmor war memorial
On the E side of the church and on the E side of the B5123 on an island of its junction with a minor road to Caerfallwch Farm.
Approximately 300m N of Rhosesmor church, set back and reached by farm road on the E side of the B5123.
Between Halkyn and Rhosesmor, reached via lane opposite Ysgol Rhos Helyg. Hawthorn Cottage is about 300m WSW of the school, S of a junction of lanes, and NW of Moel y Gaer.
The Old Vicarage
In its own grounds on the E side of the B5123 approximately 0.6km N of Rhosesmor church.
Ysgol Rhos Helyg
Set back and in its own grounds on the E side of the B5123 approximately 1km NNW of Rhosesmor village.
Approximately 0.6km E of Rhosesmor church and reached by farm road S of a minor road between Rhosesmor and Northop.
Approximately 1.3km WSW of Rhosesmor church, reached by farm road E of a minor road between Hendre and Moel-y-crio. At the S end of a yard with L-shaped farm range.