This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.671 / 51°40'15"N
Longitude: -4.6967 / 4°41'48"W
OS Eastings: 213623
OS Northings: 200356
OS Grid: SN136003
Mapcode National: GBR GF.7R49
Mapcode Global: VH2PS.J8XC
Entry Name: No 2 Rock Houses
Listing Date: 19 March 1951
Last Amended: 28 March 2002
Source ID: 26323
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Second of a terrace of four set behind railings on the street line on the SE side of the bend in St Julian's Street opposite Lansdowne Cottages.
Community: Tenby (Dinbych-y-pysgod)
Built-Up Area: Tenby
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Terraced house part of an earlier C19 pair with No 1, similar in detail to Lexden Terrace of 1843. From 1847 the home of Dr F D Dyster (1810-93), prominent in C19 Tenby: mayor 1867-8, promoter of the Cottage Hospital 1871, the Savings Bank, the Museum 1878, and donor of the Wedgwood Memorial Fountain 1867 and another in Castle Square 1868. Noted as a naturalist, specialist on worms, and friend of T H Huxley, who visited Dyster regularly from 1854. They corresponded for nearly 40 years, and both lectured to working men in the town.
Terraced house, a pair with No 1 Rock Houses. The pair are a single design with painted stuccoed street front of 3 storeys and basement, two bays divided by three Ionic pilasters rising from band over ground floor and carrying heavily moulded entablature with pulvinated frieze, cornice and parapet. One-window range and inner doorway to each house, 12-pane hornless sashes, ground floor windows not aligned to the windows of the upper floors. Broad flight of 3 stone steps up to paired central Ionic doorcases with recessed 6-panel doors with overlights. Cast-iron boot scrapers set into stone.
Slate steps to basement: 4-paned horned sash and half glazed panelled door.
Area railings similar to those before Lexden Terrace to left of steps with gate to left to basement steps.
Slate-hung rear seaward side with parapet. Three storeys, 2 bays overall. Two dormers, 2 2-storey canted bays and 2 pairs of 4-pane sashes to upper floor.
Included as one of an architecturally sophisticated pair of houses in late Georgian style.
Other nearby listed buildings