This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6727 / 51°40'21"N
Longitude: -4.6965 / 4°41'47"W
OS Eastings: 213640
OS Northings: 200543
OS Grid: SN136005
Mapcode National: GBR GF.7R4S
Mapcode Global: VH2PS.J7Z2
Entry Name: The former Albion Hotel
Listing Date: 26 April 1977
Last Amended: 28 March 2002
Source ID: 26331
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated with entrance facade at right angles to Laston House, and three-storey rear facade to Pier Hill.
Community: Tenby (Dinbych-y-pysgod)
Built-Up Area: Tenby
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Early C19 pair of houses with single storey facades to Castle Square and 3-storey fronts to Pier Hill, built before 1817, as shown in 1817 view of Tenby Harbour. The Albion Inn is recorded from 1849 and is said to have had two entries to separate rival fishermen and also a smuggler's tunnel under Castle Hill (unconfirmed). It is not listed in 1844 directory. Old photographs show a brick lean-to forebuilding to Castle Square. Alterations were advertised in 1898 by H T Morley of Tenby.
Subdivided such that the upper two floors of the NE house are now Little Albion, entered from Castle Square, and the upper floor (together with the upper floor of No 3 Pier Hill) are occupied by the Harriet Davies Fund for Disabled Children and known as Harriet's House. One vault of the Pier Hill double vaulted basement of the NE house is part of Lower Deck (part of the former Assembly Rooms, listed under Pier Hill).
Pair of houses with main three-storey facades to Pier Hill. Painted roughcast with slate hipped roof.
Single storey elevation to Castle Square has parapet and rendered stacks to right and on ridge. Half-glazed door with overlight (to Little Albion) and C20 plate glass window to right. To left is a projecting forebuilding echoing form of Laston House. Stucco with band and parapet, outer bays and centre bay slightly projected. Outer bays have roundels with long keystone, intermediate bays have leaded early C20 cross window each and centre is taller with channelled piers, arch and triple keystone and coping. Recessed C20 door (to Harriet's House) with overlight under blank tympanum.
Three-storey facade to Pier Hill, projecting forward of No 3 Pier Hill. Two houses with single parapet line. 3-window range to right with 3 second floor small C20 timber oriel windows, with small panes, 12-pane hornless sash windows to first and ground floors and centre doorway in C19 cut stone surround, chamfered with plinth and sloping coping. Half-glazed door.
House to left has 2-window range originally of 12-pane sashes with door in ground floor left position, but second floor windows have C20 casements with top-lights in original openings, and ground floor right has C20 casement pair. Door to left with C20 double glazed doors (to vaulted basement now part of Lower Deck, Pier Hill).
Included as a prominent late Georgian building overlooking the harbour.
Other nearby listed buildings