This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6757 / 51°40'32"N
Longitude: -4.7028 / 4°42'10"W
OS Eastings: 213218
OS Northings: 200892
OS Grid: SN132008
Mapcode National: GBR GF.7HHT
Mapcode Global: VH2PS.F4NR
Entry Name: ,10,The Croft,,Tenby,,SA70 8AP
Listing Date: 19 March 1951
Last Amended: 28 March 2002
Source ID: 26395
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Fifth terrace facing the sea on the W side of The Croft N of the Fourcroft Hotel.
Community: Tenby (Dinbych-y-pysgod)
Built-Up Area: Tenby
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Terraced house, c1869, matching pair with No 11. The terrace of 11 houses on The Croft was begun in the 1830s, on land leased by Jacob Richards of Croft House, The Norton, from the Corporation. Four houses were advertised for completion in 1833, by W Jones of Tenby. Nos 5 and 6 were built in 1839, in 1863 a sea-wall was about to be built in front of sites of 3 planned new houses, presumably Nos 7-9, 2 were nearly complete in 1864 and the site of the third was advertised for sale by William Rees, joiner. No 10 was advertised as new built in 1869. Nos 6-9 are a matching terrace of four, and Nos 10-11 are similar but with an additional storey. No 10 was occupied by George Sinnett, blacksmith and Henry Adams, solicitor, in 1881, and was part of the Richmond Private Hotel (with No 9) in 1977, Richmond House in 2001.
Terraced house, left house of a matching pair, Nos 10 and 11, similar to the adjoining 6-9 but with addition of a fourth storey. Each house has painted stucco street elevation of basement and 4 storeys. Ground floors channelled. Steps up to doors in round-headed recesses with fluted pilasters and moulded capitals continued into the reveals as impost bands. Continuous iron-railed balconies with anthemion pattern on 1st floor, on cast iron brackets. Door and window on ground floor not aligned. Iron area railings with steps down to basement with window and door beneath bridge to front door. Area railings have uprights with stud-headed finials. Railings of attractive wrought-iron scroll pattern flank steps to doorways. Large sash windows, full-length to first floor, shorter to second and square to third floor, all 4-pane. Coved cornice continuous with No 11, under parapet coping.
The balcony railings on Nos. 9 and 10 have slightly different arrangement of anthemion pattern to Nos 6, 7, 8, and 11.
No 10 has 4-panel door with plain fanlight. four-pane right basement window, C20 left window is C20.
Included as part of a fine terrace with continuous iron balcony, prominent on sea-front.
Other nearby listed buildings