This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6721 / 51°40'19"N
Longitude: -4.6997 / 4°41'58"W
OS Eastings: 213418
OS Northings: 200486
OS Grid: SN134004
Mapcode National: GBR GF.7QBH
Mapcode Global: VH2PS.H79J
Entry Name: No 2 Lancaster Buildings
Listing Date: 28 March 2002
Last Amended: 28 March 2002
Source ID: 26401
Location: Situated in High Street opposite Church of St Mary and adjoining Jasperley House
Community: Tenby (Dinbych-y-pysgod)
Built-Up Area: Tenby
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
One of a pair of later C19 commercial premises with flats over, possibly incorporating earlier buildings. Nos 2 and 3 Lancaster Buildings are confusing to trace, there appears not to have been a No 1, though the 1911 directory suggests that No 3 was No 1. In 1911 and 1926 No 2 was occupied by G Lord, mens outfitter, and in 2001 by Dale Music. No 3 was occupied in 1882 by Mr Helyar, dentist, in 1923 by W G Gwatkin gentlemen's outfitter, and in 1996 and 2001 by Tenby Jewellers. Other names associated with the pair are William Johns shipwright occupant in 1871, Mary Lewis in 1881, F G Gage, tailor in 1921. In 1911 J B Francis was at No 1.
Left half of a pair of buildings, painted stucco with corniced parapet and slate roof with red terracotta ridge tiles and broad brick end stacks. Three storeys and attic, each house of one bay with 2 gabled dormers behind parapet, 2-storey canted oriel, and ground floor C20 shopfront, with house doors paired in centre. Dormers have red terracotta ridge tiles, 6-pane sashes to No 3, and C20 windows to No 2. Oriels are restored in late C20 with casement lights, single each side, pair to front. House doors have overlights, original 2-panel door to No 3.
Included as one of a pair of C19 stucco buildings prominently sited opposite the parish church.
Other nearby listed buildings