This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6729 / 51°40'22"N
Longitude: -4.7066 / 4°42'23"W
OS Eastings: 212949
OS Northings: 200594
OS Grid: SN129005
Mapcode National: GBR GF.7NJS
Mapcode Global: VH2PS.C6PW
Entry Name: Tenby Railway Station (main entrance range)
Listing Date: 28 March 2002
Last Amended: 28 March 2002
Source ID: 26424
Building Class: Transport
Location: On the W side of the town just N of the junction of Station Road and Warren Street.
Community: Tenby (Dinbych-y-pysgod)
Built-Up Area: Tenby
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Railway station of 1870-1 by James Szlumper built for the Pembroke Tenby and Whitland Railway built 1862-6. Szlumper became engineer to the line in 1869 and built stations at Pembroke and Pembroke Dock also. The station was enlarged with covered platform to the S in the late C19.
Railway station, squared rock-faced pink stone with yellow Bath stone dressings and broad slate half-hipped roof with crested ridge tiles, the roof also over the platform. One storey, 5 bays. Two ashlar chimneys on front roof slope, with chamfered plinths and diagonally set paired square shafts with corniced caps. End gables have bargeboards, toothed and each with three roundels.
Chamfered plinth, 2 ashlar flush bands and eaves cornice with dentils and zigzag moulding. Centre full-height entry with ashlar quoins, large 4-pane sashes each side in chamfered surrounds with blind pointed heads breaking eaves under bargeboarded half-hipped gables. Herringbone ashlar infill to arch heads. Flush bands are at sill level and mid-height. Beyond, each side, is a narrow loop with upper band carried over as flush triangular head with stone voussoirs. Outer segmental pointed 4-pane sashes in chamfered surrounds, the chamfers stopped between jambs and head. Low right end bay with half-hipped lean-to roof, and small segmental-pointed headed 4-pane sash. End wall has one small blocked window and no bands.
Other end to platform has segmental-pointed 4-pane sash in roll-moulded surround, the rolls similarly stopped, adjacent to door with similar head and moulding. Plinth and sill band. Main platform front has tall openings with roll-moulded pointed blind heads with herringbone infill. Bands at sill and springing level. Two pairs of openings each side of centre door, inner pairs are 4-pane sashes, outer left pair a 4-pane sash to right of door with 4-pane overlight. Outer right pair 2 boarded doors. Big and unusually elaborate canopy on 6 iron columns with moulded bases, shaft rings and octagonal caps. These carry cast-iron posts with ornate curved brackets to front and rear, the spandrels with pierced ironwork to a quatrefoil and leaf scroll pattern. The brackets carry the main beams with an axial beam along line of columns. Main beams each carry principal rafter with raking strut, the two triangles between infilled with timber pierced with large trefoil and small circles. Canopy has moulded cornice and deep valance with roundel ends to the boards.
Added to S is later C19 canopy carried on back screen wall returned slightly at S end. This canopy has steel trusses carried on cast iron columns with fluting to lower part, and leaf capitals, made by Hill & Smith of Brierley Hill. Simpler valancing and asbestos sheet roof. Screen wall to station yard in grey limestone with ashlar matching plinth, bands and eaves band, but eaves band plain. Pair of 4-pane sashes with Tudor-arched heads to extreme right, shorter pair to centre, boarded in, and broad archway to left with rounded jambs and segmental pointed head. Short S return wall also banded. On platform attached to original station building is square flat-roofed structure with broad opening, roll-moulded ashlar jambs and C20 lintel. C20 addition to right also flat-roofed.
Included as a Victorian Gothic station of unusual quality and little altered.
Other nearby listed buildings