This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6726 / 51°40'21"N
Longitude: -4.7019 / 4°42'6"W
OS Eastings: 213268
OS Northings: 200544
OS Grid: SN132005
Mapcode National: GBR GF.7PRH
Mapcode Global: VH2PS.G744
Entry Name: The Mews (front range)
Listing Date: 28 March 2002
Last Amended: 28 March 2002
Source ID: 26430
Building Class: Transport
Location: Between South Parade and the W side of Upper Frog Street some 50m S of the junction with White Lion Street.
Community: Tenby (Dinbych-y-pysgod)
Built-Up Area: Tenby
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Said to have been built in early C19 as racing stables, known as Harrison's Stables in 1902. Harrison went bankrupt in 1938. The front building has been much extended to the rear and the mews behind is altered.
Former coach-houses and entry to stables in mews to rear, painted rubble stone high ground floor and tooled squared grey limestone loft with high panelled parapet and battlements. Two storeys, upper floor with 3 small square casement pair windows in raised rusticated surrounds with stone voussoirs extending up to base of raised parapet, which has 3 sunk panels. Sill band over white-painted ground floor. This has original coach entries to each side with recessed cambered brick heads and stone keystones. Tooled stone jambs, C20 glazed infill. Centre arch is altered in C20 with brick jambs and concrete lintel. Roughcast right end gable. Red brick left end gable.
In left side shop are 2 brick arches on side wall, the party wall to the Coach and Horses Inn.
Included despite the alteration to the centre arch as an unusual castellated design, of interest as the remnant of a mews for stabling racehorses.
Other nearby listed buildings