This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6718 / 51°40'18"N
Longitude: -4.697 / 4°41'49"W
OS Eastings: 213606
OS Northings: 200452
OS Grid: SN136004
Mapcode National: GBR GF.7R1S
Mapcode Global: VH2PS.J7RP
Entry Name: Retaining wall to Bridge Street
Listing Date: 28 March 2002
Last Amended: 28 March 2002
Source ID: 26436
Building Class: Civil
Location: Situated on the N side of the E half of Bridge Street extending W to Crackwell Street.
Community: Tenby (Dinbych-y-pysgod)
Built-Up Area: Tenby
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Earlier C19 retaining wall supporting roadway of Bridge Street. Probably built at about the same time as Paxton's promenade below as on 17/12/1813 the council desired the widening of the lower end of Bridge Street and Sir William Paxton agreed to 'remove the wall on the N side of Bridge Street and to rebuild it at a sufficient distance to the N side so as to widen that street...having at the same time sufficient distance for a good road between the said wall and the top of the circular wall or parapet wall of the Arches on the S side of the road'.
High retaining wall in grey limestone rubble with parapet wall to street coped in rough tooled stone. Various openings into brick-vaulted cellars under roadway. To left, door to cellar of St Julian's House. Further along, lean-to C20 shelter adjoining steps up to door to cellar of Pier House. Two blocked square lights with brick heads opposite Sparta House. Door with red brick arch opposite house formerly of Charles Norris.
Included as a prominent element in the view across the harbour, of group value with the arches of Paxton's promenade (Harbour Stores) below.
Other nearby listed buildings