This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2469 / 53°14'48"N
Longitude: -3.3765 / 3°22'35"W
OS Eastings: 308246
OS Northings: 373092
OS Grid: SJ082730
Mapcode National: GBR 4ZVW.SS
Mapcode Global: WH76P.3ND7
Entry Name: Tremeirchion Voluntary Primary School and School
Listing Date: 9 April 2002
Last Amended: 9 April 2002
Source ID: 26465
Building Class: Education
Location: To the west of Tremeirchion parish church, with small asphalted playground to front. Caretaker's or former teacher's cottage to left.
Locality: Tremeirchion Village
Traditional County: Flintshire
Tremeirchion church school, built on glebe land in 1865 at a cost of nearly £800, including the school house. They replace schools of 1765 and 1835. The main central rear wing of the building was added after 1871, and there are extensive, more recent, additions to the rear.
A T-shaped building with its main range aligned east/west and facing south to the playground and the road, and a rear wing. The main range is in local limestone ashlar with snecked courses; slate roof with coped gables. The rear wing (of later date) is in brickwork with slate roof, brick chimney and timber bargeboards. More modern rear extensions rendered, single storey, flat-roofed.
The front elevation is symmetrical with a central gable. Three x 3-light windows with small-pane glazing. The central one beneath the gable has mullions and a transom. The outer windows are mullioned. Sunk date-panel within the central gable. Small wall-vents beneath the windows.
Attached at left is the former two-storey teacher's house, gable to the front, of two units in similar masonry at front but in white-painted brickwork at side and rear. Slate roof with coped gable at front; central brickwork chimney. Brick porch at left, replaced windows in original openings retaining chamfered jambs and lintels.
Canted high ceiling in the main schoolroom with timbers exposed at tie-beam level or below, including cast-iron decorative strengtheners to underside of main trusses. Modern interior generally, with recently added gallery.
A fine village school of the period preceding the commencement of universal elementary education. Listed also for group value with the Parish Church.
Other nearby listed buildings