This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2172 / 53°13'2"N
Longitude: -3.3605 / 3°21'37"W
OS Eastings: 309249
OS Northings: 369772
OS Grid: SJ092697
Mapcode National: GBR 6Q.1665
Mapcode Global: WH76W.BDZG
Entry Name: Geinas Farmhouse
Listing Date: 12 April 2002
Last Amended: 12 April 2002
Source ID: 26482
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: At north side of the A541, ½ km south of Bodfari Parish Church. Small walled garden at front, other enclosed ground at sides and rear. Farmyard on opposite side of road.
Locality: Geinas Farm
Traditional County: Flintshire
An early C19 farmhouse in a Regency style. In 1843 it was recorded as part of the estate of Robert Foulkes Currie, tenanted by Edward Williams with about 140 acres of land. That it was newly built is inferred from the fact that at that date almost nothing had been built of the large farmyard on the opposite side of the road.
Farmhouse of two storeys and four windows, facing south to the front garden and road. Probably brick, stuccoed, with slate roofs and two end- and two mid-chimneys of brick. The second unit from the left is the entrance, gabled and slightly advanced. Gables over the other three windows. The gables to the front have carved bargeboards, the gables to the ends have straight bargeboards; two two-storey rear wings with end chimneys and plain verges.
The upper windows of the front elevation and the gables of the front range are 12-pane windows with hornless sashes in exposed frames. The ground storey window of the left and third units are tripartite, with mullions; similar sash windows centrally in each. The ground storey window of the right unit has been reconstructed in a lean-to extension. Four-panel main door with leaded overlight; simple surround with consoles and cornice.
A good estate farmhouse in Regency Tudor style, which has kept its architectural character well.
Other nearby listed buildings