History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Biglis Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Dinas Powys, Vale of Glamorgan

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4212 / 51°25'16"N

Longitude: -3.2351 / 3°14'6"W

OS Eastings: 314217

OS Northings: 169855

OS Grid: ST142698

Mapcode National: GBR HV.PQZ9

Mapcode Global: VH6FK.WJ3W

Entry Name: Biglis Farmhouse

Listing Date: 3 May 2002

Last Amended: 3 May 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 26509

Building Class: Domestic

Location: In the low lying land of the Moors around the Cadoxton River, SW of the village and reached by a farm track.

County: Vale of Glamorgan

Town: Cardiff

Community: Dinas Powys

Community: Dinas Powys

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Dinas Powis

History

Possibly the successor to a medieval house, Biglis Court, closer to the moors, which is shown on the First Edition OS as the Old Court. The suffix probably comes from the Welsh 'llys' meaning 'court'. At one time owned by John Catchmay; also owned by the Gyles family. Older unit at W end c1630. Believed to have been extended in 1789. Tithe map of 1840 appears to show two buildings on the site of the present house, close but not adjoined, one of which was disused; the present house may incorporate both. There was substantial remodelling of the surroundings after 1840, including the creation of a new drive and adjacent farmyard layout. OS map surveyed 1878 shows current layout.

Exterior

Large farmhouse. Built of stone rendered with roughcast; slate roof with ridge and end stacks. Rough T-shaped plan, comprising the older unit with projecting staircase wing and the longer later unit, with different ridge and eaves heights. All glazing C20. 2 storeys and attic. Rear has an asymmetrical range of windows; on 3 storeys to the gabled staircase wing; garden frontage has a symmetrical arrangement of openings to each unit, 3-window range to the longer later unit and 2-window range to the higher earlier front unit, created in earlier fabric.

Interior

The W unit retains fireplace with lintel and a ceiling with heavy chamfered and stopped cross beam with reeded joists; former staircase wing to side which leads to attic with surviving Tudor-arched wooden door frame. Longer wing has a further open fireplace, its jambs currently behind a later stone facing; one cross beam with ogee stops. Kitchen at end has a large possibly re-sited chamfered beam.

Reasons for Listing

Listed, notwithstanding modern windows, as a large, partly C17 farmhouse retaining much of its historic fabric. Group value with the adjacent barn.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.