This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7218 / 51°43'18"N
Longitude: -4.2693 / 4°16'9"W
OS Eastings: 243350
OS Northings: 205000
OS Grid: SN433050
Mapcode National: GBR GQ.BPXW
Mapcode Global: VH3M2.YZCG
Entry Name: Llandyry Church
Listing Date: 3 May 2002
Last Amended: 23 July 2003
Source ID: 26513
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On W side of B4317, in churchyard about 700m S of junction with B4308.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
A medieval church thoroughly restored in the C19. The nave and chancel may date from the C13 or C14 (but lack of alignment may indicate 2 periods), and the transepts from C15 or C16. In 1759 the church was described as being 'so much out of repair that service cannot be performed on a rainy day', but was in good order by 1790. It is said to have been repaired c1850 by Mason & Elkington, managers of the copper works at Burry Port. The church was restored again in the 1870s, with the addition of a vestry and porch. The nave was extended to the W by one bay in 1907.
A simple Gothic church with aisleless nave, chancel, shallow transepts, later S porch and NE vestry. Of grey-brown stone with Bathstone dressings, and slate roofs. The 4-bay nave has alternating 1- and 2-light windows. The gabled S porch has a narrow inner doorway. The W end has a 3-light window with cinquefoil, a small Gothic window above it and a bellcote. The transepts have 2 lancets and a round window above. The lower 2-bay chancel has a lean-to vestry on the N side. The E window has 2 cusped lights with quatrefoil.
Simple interior with chancel and nave out of alignment. The C19 roof has A-frame trusses on C19 corbels. The chancel has a broad archway to the vestry. Font, pews and wooden altar rails are C19.
Listed as a church which, despite thorough C19 restoration, retains medieval fabric and cruciform plan.
Other nearby listed buildings