This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1394 / 53°8'21"N
Longitude: -4.2755 / 4°16'31"W
OS Eastings: 247884
OS Northings: 362664
OS Grid: SH478626
Mapcode National: GBR 5H.6CVK
Mapcode Global: WH43F.9C84
Entry Name: Revetment to terrace on W side of Castle Square
Listing Date: 3 May 2002
Last Amended: 3 May 2002
Source ID: 26517
Building Class: Civil
Location: On the E side of Caernarfon Castle
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The terrace was created in 1911 as a viewing area for the investiture of the Prince of Wales at Caernarfon Castle, on land donated by Baron Vaynol (details on tablets attached to 37 Castle Square).
A revetment and parapet of coursed dressed stone, with a band of finer tooled stone 2 courses thick. The revetment, facing Castle Hill, has shallow intermediate buttresses and is composed of 2 straight sections. Incorporated into the lower section are public conveniences, with 3 boarded doors. A parapet of finer tooled stone projects on corbels and has a saddleback coping. It terminates on the NW side in a broad rock-faced pier facing Castle Ditch.
Listed for its historical association with the investiture of the Prince of Wales in 1911, and with other associated listed items for its contribution to the historic townscape and the setting of Caernarfon Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings