This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1405 / 53°8'25"N
Longitude: -4.2769 / 4°16'36"W
OS Eastings: 247794
OS Northings: 362794
OS Grid: SH477627
Mapcode National: GBR 5H.65KC
Mapcode Global: WH43F.8BM8
Entry Name: Castle Restaurant
Listing Date: 22 May 1967
Last Amended: 3 May 2002
Source ID: 26530
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In a terrace on the N side of the council offices.
Locality: Walled town
Built-Up Area: Caernarfon
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built in the third quarter of the C19 and first shown on the 1888 Ordnance Survey. Perhaps originally intended as houses for Caernarfon's growing professional and business sector, they were nevertheless soon adapted as business premises. In 1895 No 6 was the Pearl Life Assurance Office.
Belongs to group of 6-12 Castle Street.
A near symmetrical "artisan-classical" terrace of 10 bays, originally comprising 4 houses of 3 storeys with attics. Pediment over 4 central bays, and strong rhythm imposed on the design by continuous cornice over ground floor, carried on fluted Ionic columns articulating the original property divisions, and framing doorways, and at first floor by alternating paired round-arched windows linked by balconies. The front is stucco, drafted in the lower storey and scribed above, with rusticated angle pilasters, and slate roof on bracketed eaves, with brick stacks. Ground floor has central tripartite sash window but otherwise disposition of detail is asymmetrical, reflecting unequal division into separate properties. Nos 6 and 8 at the R (N) end are 2-bay houses with doorways in the R-hand bay, although in the upper storeys No 6 has only a single window. No 10 was also originally a 2-bay house, probably with lower-storey shop, under the central pediment, while No 12 was a 4-bay house, although Nos 10 and 12 are now amalgamated into a single property. The front is stucco, drafted in the lower storey and scribed above, with rusticated angle pilasters, and slate roof on bracketed eaves, with brick stacks. The doorways have doors incorporating round-headed panels and plain overlights, except No 12 which has a small-pane overlight. The windows in the lower storey are 12-pane horned sashes. Windows to Nos 10 and 12 are framed by moulded consoles with Celtic interlace ornament below the ground-floor cornice. First floor had 2-light casement windows with transoms, set in round arches in paired outer and central bays; these have cast-iron balconies of lattice-work over Greek key frieze. Upper storey has 9-pane sash windows, horned to Nos 10 and 12, hornless to Nos 6 and 8, and sill band. A shallow open pediment spanning the central 4 bays has a round-headed sash window in a rusticated architrave.
The rubble-stone rear elevation has a 8-pane sash window lighting the stair on the R side on the middle storey.
Listed as a well-detailed and well-preserved later C19 terrace in a strong 'artisan-classical' style, and for its contribution to the historic integrity of the walled town.
Other nearby listed buildings