This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1408 / 53°8'27"N
Longitude: -4.2761 / 4°16'33"W
OS Eastings: 247850
OS Northings: 362830
OS Grid: SH478628
Mapcode National: GBR 5H.65QQ
Mapcode Global: WH43F.9B00
Entry Name: ,27 High Street,Walled town,Caernarfon,
Listing Date: 3 May 2002
Last Amended: 3 May 2002
Source ID: 26542
Building Class: Commercial
Location: In a row of frontages midway along the street.
Locality: Walled town
Built-Up Area: Caernarfon
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built in the third quarter of the C19 and first shown on the 1890 Ordnance Survey. It was a chemist's shop in 1895.
Belongs to a group of 25-27 High Street.
Pair of shops with houses above; the front is roughcast with rusticated quoin strips, and the slate roof has roughcast end stacks to the front roof slope. 3 storeys and 2 windows, of which No 27 is narrower. Windows in the middle and upper storeys are replaced within moulded architraves with sill bands. In the upper storey the replacement windows are lower than the original windows which were directly beneath the eaves. Shop fronts to lower storey, that to No 25 probably late C19. It has fluted pilasters to a plain fascia incorporating a pediment over the central doorway. Replaced double half-lit doors are beneath a thin segmental arch, the moulding of which is continued as nook shafts. The flanking windows are 2-light with arched heads and thin turned mullions with capitals. The stallboard is boarded over. No 27 has a replaced half-lit door to the L under an overlight, and plate glass window to the R, both in original openings with moulded architraves.
Listed as a late C19 commercial building distinguished by its use of decorative stucco continuing the strong Georgian tradition in Caernarfon, and for its contribution to the historic integrity of the walled town.
Other nearby listed buildings